• Administrators

1:32 AEG G.IV Late

Wingnut Wings

Catalogue # 32042

Available from Wingnut Wings for $229.00 with FREE Worldwide Shipping

box.jpg

First of all let me give you the specifications as provided by Wingnut Wings:

• 57cm wingspan.

• 410 high quality injection moulded plastic parts.

• 2 highly detailed Daimler-Mercedes D.IVa engines which can be displayed

exposed or fully enclosed in their nacelles.

• Optional bomb load of  12.5kg (x26), 50kg (x7) and 100kg (x2) bombs.

• Optional propellers and weighted tyres.

• 17 photo-etched metal detail parts.

• Tail skid trolley for diorama display.

• 32 page fully illustrated instruction manual.

• 5 high quality Cartograf decals including 4 sheets of night lozenge and

markings for 5 aircraft;

1- AEG G.IV 848/17 White 1, Bogohl 8b, May 1918

2- AEG G.IV 850/17 White 2, Bogohl 8b, June 1918

3- AEG G.IV White VII, mid to late 1918

4- AEG G.IV 567/18 White 7, Bogohl 8b, mid to late 1918

5- AEG G.IV 574/18 White IV, November 1918  (this aircraft is currently preserved in the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum)

With the AEG being a lesser known bomber than for instance the Gotha and Friedrichshafen you may have a bit more difficulty finding reference books. My start with any WW1 subject is getting the Windsock Datafile on it, which’ range covers almost every model worthy plane that flew in the big war. The AEG G.IV is no exception and covered in Datafile # 51.

The Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft (A.E.G.) G.IV was derived from the earlier AEG G.III. Designed as a tactical bomber, the relatively modern technology included on-board radios and electrically heated suits for the crew. Well equipped with armament, although the rear gunner's cockpit was on the top of the fuselage, the position was equipped with a hinged window in the floor for viewing and fending off pursuing aircraft.

It’s not all that fair the AEG is lesser known than the Gotha and Friedrichshafen, since the AEG was by far the most reliable and successful in it’s rol, which was slightly different than the other two. The Gotha was mainly used for long range missions, the Friedrichshafen for medium range missions and the AEG for short range. It was a very robust plane with an almost all metal welded frame (so in a sense a revolutionary design like the Junkers J.1). The cross joints were machined from solid blocks of metal, making the AEG survive rough handling and landings.

Today one AEG  G.IV survives in the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa. It’s aircraft number 574/18 which was brought back as a war trophy after the war. It’s also the only aircraft covered in the distinctive night fighter lozenge. Don’t stare too long at the engines, since they are less powerful and not original to this plane, but added in the twenties to fill the void of the missing ones’. Still the fact that this particular plane survives today is very special, since it’s the ONLY WWI twin engined combat aircraft that remains today…

Again, Jim Hatch already elaborated quite much about the history and design of this subject in his review of the AEG G.IV Early (review here), so I will focus on the differences between the early and late types. Both in parts, construction and schemes.

AEG1.jpg

The Prize

But before we dive into details and differences I think it’s good to take a look at the prize of this kit. A lot of discussion was sparked on various forums and especially Facebook. With a prize of $ 229, it’s a big step up from the $ 149 Gotha. The funny thing is that when the Gotha was first released people fell over the costs too. All the usual remarks about ‘She Who Must be Obeyed’ and ‘My Poor Wallet’ were heard. But now with the release of the AEG, I’ve heard people considering the Gotha and calling it: very reasonably prized. And actually that hits the mark, since Wingnut Wings already admitted that this is just the case. Actually I think the Gotha would be more realistically prized at just under $ 200. That still leaves a difference in prize of $ 29 between the two. This is a direct result of the way the AEG is produced. To start with, the tooling costs of the AEG are 1.3 x more expensive than they were on the Gotha. Second: the plastic injection moulding costs are a staggering 2.3 x higher than the Gotha!! And on top of that the decal printing is done against 2.75 x the costs of that of the Gotha… Actually, if you take all of the above into account, the AEG is probably prized too low as well… Therefor I don’t think these big kits are the money makers (those are the small Fokker DVII’s, Albatrosses, etc..). These big kits are just the bonuses and eye catchers.

Late Vs. Early (Step by Step)

Step 1, 2 and 3: Interior

Here we see the first difference with the Early type. The Late version offers an optional Commander’s seat and different PuW bomb racks that feature sliding covering doors instead of open racks on the Early version.

Photo’s of the Canada Museum AEG are shown for reference, showing nice details of the stowed Commander’s seat and the trap door downward firing gunners position.

This being a Late version you can fully use these photo’s for reference. The Early version instructions carry a warning that not all details in these photo’s are applicable to the model.

All in all the most apparent differences are the open stowed bombs in the tip of the nose of the Early version (not present in Late), open stowed bombs in rear cockpit at the gunners position, vs the neat covered bomb racks of the Late and a different Commander’s seat in the nose. A round stool in the Late version vs a foldable cushioned seat on the Early.

Small funny detail on both versions is the British style instrument present on the panel that was moulded there by mistake. Lucky Wingnut Wings caught this one in time and mentions this in the instructions.

Sprue A:

AEG_sprueA_1.jpg

AEG_sprueA_2.jpg

AEG_sprueA_3.jpg

AEG_sprueA_4.jpg

AEG_sprueA_5.jpg

Sprue B:

AEG_sprueB-1.jpg

AEG_sprueB-2.jpg

AEG_sprueB-3.jpg

AEG_sprueB-4.jpg

Clear sprue:

AEG_sprueC-1.jpg

AEG_sprueC-2.jpg

Step 4: Crew armament

The Late version offers three LMG 14/17 machine guns with the thin mantlet. These are all plasic but can be replaced with the very nice Master Model brass mantlets. The Early version also uses the earlier LMG 14 machine guns with the wider mantlets. These can be modelled in simple plastic or in the provided high detail photo etch. Again: also these mantlets are offered as single ready brass pieces by Master Model.

This step also cover the internal rigging which is kept to a minimum on this plane due to the welded metal framing.

Armament sprue G (x2):

AEG_sprueG-1.jpg

AEG_sprueG-2.jpg

Step 5: Fuselage

Not a lot of differences between the Early and Late types here. Present on both versions is the glazed trapdoor for the rear gunner. The rear gunner was able to switch between the top-rear firing LMG and rear downward firing LMG by switching positions. The glazed trapdoor was opened inwards for this function. It is the trapezium shaped part in the C-sprue. I think this piece was made with some kind of clear flexible material, since Wingnut Wings went through some trouble replicating the wavy surface on this part. Very nice…

The most significant difference we can see is the upper nose deck. The Early version offers three different choices from the K and L sprue, whereas the Late version dictates one type of deck for all schemes.

Sprue D1 (x2):

AEG_sprueD-1.jpg

AEG_sprueD-3.jpg

AEG_sprueD-4.jpg

AEG_sprueD-2.jpg

AEG_sprueD-5.jpg

Sprue D2 (x2):

AEG_sprueD2-1.jpg

AEG_sprueD2-2.jpg

AEG_sprueD2-3.jpg

AEG_sprueD2-4.jpg

Step 7: Engine

The Daimler Mercedes D.IVa engine is featured in both versions of the AEG GIV. The engine is in style with what we have come to expect from Wingnut Wings. Detailed, but not über detailed, like for instance a Zoukei Mura engine. It’s easy to spice these up a little bit with the (I’m sure it’s coming) HGW detail set.

Sprue E Engine (x2):

AEG_sprueE-1.jpg

AEG_sprueE-2.jpg

Step 8: Engine nacelles (open or closed)

With both types you get to opt for the half open or fully closed engine cowlings. It depends on the scheme you’re doing, but ofcourse you’re free to open just one engine up in order to show off some detail. Be warned: the cowling frame is very very delicaten and be sure to check this part. When I see a fracture in a delicate piece like this I usually leave it on the sprue and glue it in there, before cutting the piece out.

Sprue F:

AEG_sprueF-1.jpg

AEG_sprueF-2.jpg

AEG_sprueF-3.jpg

AEG_sprueF-4.jpg

Step 9: Tailplane

No differences between the types in this step either. The control surfaces are very beautifully moulded with an almost translucent effect when held against the light.

Sprue H:

AEG_sprueH-1.jpg

AEG_sprueH-3.jpg

AEG_sprueH-2.jpg

AEG_sprueH-4.jpg

Step 10: Undercarriage

Same as above. No differences. Four wheels in total. Adding some spoked Steven Robson wheels in this kit will definitely set you back quite more than just the $ 229 kit’s prize J

Sprue I:

AEG_sprueI-1.jpg

AEG_sprueI-2.jpg

AEG_sprueI-4.jpg

Sprue J:

AEG_sprueJ-1.jpg

AEG_sprueJ-4.jpg

AEG_sprueJ-3.jpg

AEG_sprueJ-2.jpg

Step 11: Fuselage detail

These mainly being the armament LMG rings on the nose and rear fuselage. Both versions have the bomb sight mounted on the right outside of the nose, radiator shutter control rods and windscreens. The Early version has the rear LMG running over a rail, whereas the Late version has this feature replaced with a ring mount. Note: the rear LMG was often removed on later types for night bombing missions. I guess it wasn’t of much use shooting your gun in the dark. For the same reason the Oigee scope wasn’t often seen on the Late type (but it still looks cool though).

Sprue L:

AEG_sprueL-1.jpg

AEG_sprueL-2.jpg

Photo etch:

AEG_Photoetch1.jpg

AEG_Photoetch2.jpg

Step 12: Optional bomb load

I think this is where HGW might be able to add some detail to the delicate bomb racks that can be seen under wings, nose and fuselage. Not that it really needs that much, but you cannot have this part looking too busy. Both versions give you the option to sling 12,5 kg, 50 kg and 100 kg bombs under your plane. The photo etch braces that wrap around the bomb are a nice touch.

Step 13: Bottom wings and struts

Again… no differences between the types. This is where we attach the huge lower wings and your plane starts to become massive! The struts are positioned on the wings, as well as the central top wing part with the gravity fuel tank attached to it.

Step 14: Top wings and final assembly

What’s really cool on both kits is the tail skid support trolley. A nice feature in any diorama, but also a nice touch when placing your AEG on a wooden stand. Two wheels and a simple frame with towing bar make this piece up.

In this step the top wings are attached, as well as the small final touches like the Anemometer (treat yourself to a Gaspatch one while you’re at it. You deserve it!) and rear view mirror.

Also part of this step is adding the props. Both Early and Late type give you the option to opt the Behrend, Wolff or Anker prop. Make sure you use the right props here, since some schemes use the clockwise and counter clockwise props, and some don’t. I would use real wooden props for a build like this. One place to order this is The Micro Group. Review here. You can also try Douglas Craner. Review here.

Yes, adding wooden props will again set you back an extra 50 $.

Also present in this step is a photo of an AEG GIV in captured british markings. Very tempting…

Schemes:

scheme1.jpg

1-    AEG G.IV 848/17 White 1, Bogohl 8b, May 1918

Several photo’s of this nightfighter lozenge aircraft can be seen in the Windsock Datafile.

scheme2.jpg

2-    AEG G.IV 850/17 White 2, Bogohl 8b, June 1918

From the same Bo Gohl comes this AEG. Photo’s of this plane are also in the Windsock Datafile. Nice touches on this plane are the Flare rack on the side of the nose, Anemometer and landing lights.

scheme3.jpg

3-    AEG G.IV White VII, mid to late 1918

Yes! This is the scheme that really stands out. A huge page full photo of this plane with shark mouth is included. A very interesting plane with modified rudder and two types of props.

scheme4.jpg

4-    AEG G.IV 567/18 White 7, Bogohl 8b, mid to late 1918

Another dark lozenge plane from Bo Gohl 8b. It has an elegant huge white 7 going for it and not much else.

scheme5.jpg

5-    AEG G.IV 574/18 White IV, November 1918 

(this aircraft is currently preserved in the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum)

Decals

When you flip through the huge decal sheets, you understand why they cost 2,7x more than the Gotha decals J. I won’t even start about them being in register, since Wingnut Wings decals always are. The fact that three different shark mouths are included since Wingnut Wings wasn’t 100% sure on the color and let’s the interpretation of the photograph to the modeller is great stuff.

AEG_Decals.jpg

AEG_Decals3.jpg

AEG_Decals4.jpg

Instructions:

Like all Wingnut Wings instruction booklets. A shame to throw away once the model is finished!

instructions.jpg

Verdict

This kit rises above any other kit ever offered by Wingnut Wings. An interesting subject and very well researched. A very well engineered kit with great detail and the decals are impressive to say the least. Superlatives are tempting when reviewing a kit like this, but I’ll try to give it an objective judgement based on previous Wingnut Wings offerings and the reference I was able to find. Actually the only small nit picks I can think of are the fragile engine cowl frames ( but at the same time I wouldn’t know how to produce them better) and the stray English instrument in the cockpit (but WnW already pointed that out themselves in the instructions AND it’s a very easy fix. One swoosh with the blade and it’s gone).

All in all it would a silly not to rate this kit anyting below a 9.5 out of a 10.

VERY highly recommended

My sincere thanks to Wingnut Wings for this review sample. To purchase directly, click THIS link.

For hints and tips for building this and other Wingnut Wings kits, click THIS link.

Jeroen Peters

• Like 1

I like the way wnw point out their booboo on the two British instruments in the instructions. And how to correct it. Now That is attention to detail.

Well done wnw.

Nicely done too Jeroen.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 1