The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

BF 109E Undercarriage legs - Colour choice anyone?

JG26

Greetings,

According to Kagero's artwork that I am working off to finish the Wigger 109E, they are depicting the U/C legs as painted in RLM 65 - Now, after sifting through a heap of Emil photos it appears to my eyes (in black & White anyway) 3 colours used to paint the legs -

1. RLM 65 - The legs, upper leg door bay & inner doors - all finished the same as the Emil's underside 65.

2. The legs in a darker shade - I am guessing to be RLM 02 - this is noticeably darker, especially if the inner door has been left painted in the 65. Sometimes it appers the inner doors are also left painted in RLM 02.

3. A very dark colour - RLM 70 or Black I would say by the looks. This seems more obvious in very early pics, with Emil's painted in the earlier 70/71 schemes.

So...what I am proposing....the U/C legs, Upper leg bays and maybe inner doors all painted in RLM 65, the upper wheel wells painted in RLM 02, the side door bay curtains painted in a dark canvas colour.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Dan M

Not having a picture reference with me I would go with the following as a general guide. Not gospel but u/c legs, inner surfaces of doors and interior of bay 02 , exteriors 65 and canvass covers which can be a range of colours from a sort of pale pink to dark tan. Not much definitive help sorry.

Regards,

I guess to be totally correct you need photo reference of the actual aircraft. If im not mistaken, the early war years saw the 109's primed in 02, airframe and all interior areas then the camo on top of that leaving the inners in 02. There is however always exception to the rules. Personally, without difinitive proof I'd go with 02 for the legs and inners and not beat myself up over it.

Maybe Steve (Wumm) can shed more light on the subject.

Cheers Bevan.

Ok, Thanks gents - some interesting feedback so far. I haven't been able to track down a clear photo of Wigger's aircraft, but this is a pic of a 2./JG51 E4 around the same timeframe -

Emil%20pic_zps0jj1bh8k.png

The legs & doors appear too pale to be 02.... they match the bombrack. Or...... is it a trick of the light?

I tell a lie, just found a pic of the actual aircraft - very blurry though...

Capture_zpsbbwhxo6o.png

your thoughts gents?

Dan

Still guessing, but since the landing gear legs on your photo are in the shade and not darker than the underside...seems like 65 or bare metal.

Inside of the covers look darker to me...02, but might as wel be the same.

Emil%20pic_zps0jj1bh8k.png

The legs & doors appear too pale to be 02.... they match the bombrack. Or...... is it a trick of the light?

Ah the joys of interpreting b/w photos. The glare of the sun doesn't help matters, but all said does point to 65 being used. I'm miffed, the manufactures were held to strict painting guidlines by the RLM, RLM02 being a primer with anti corrosion and adhesion properties where as 65 was purely a top coat camouflage colour which needed a primer for adhesion.

Facinating stuff though!

Ok, thanks for the thoughtful input lads. I think I'll stick to my game plan and risk being shot down in flames  - RLM 65 Legs & Upper Leg bays, RLM 02 wheel wells & inner doors (for contrast against the 65 legs) & the canvas covers.

Were some of the legs etc maybe originally RLM 02 & then oversprayed in service perhaps? or, as the early Emils underwent mods to become E4/7 etc they were given a quick overspray? You wonder why they would bother......Or, simply different factories had different practices.

A colour pic for your perusal - Not JG 51 (I think) though.,Pretty sure I spot the Schlageter JG26 emblem there.

09b68715-116e-4563-b961-db7a93c3f4c3_zps

There's a well-known crisp frontal pic in a few publications of a JG51 Emil undergoing an engine change in a hanger. It too appears to show legs & doors in RLM65...the mystery deepens..... :huh:

Maybe we should write a book about it......exciting reading!

Regards,

Dan M

• Like 4

Great walk around detail photos, much appreciated. The Munich 109E (green spinner) featured is a real beauty, I have had the fortunate experience of seeing it in the flesh. Quite a thorough restoration.

Regards,

Dan M

Also nice...for pit upgrade nutters....

http://www.simhq.com/_air6/BF-109E-3/index.html#1

It's 3D art, but very well done. I'm using this for my E-3 pit.

At first glance the Eduard pit looks okey, but there's actually a lot to improve.

The Eduard seat is piss poor bad for instance :wacko: