The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/32 Hasegawa P-26

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Just to prove I'm still working on this one, a small update.  Unfortunately, the really poor fitting Yellow Wings decals have really sucked the life out of what was supposed to be a quick build.  In hindsight, it may have been easier to just mask and paint the markings myself!  I would recommend that the folks at Yellow Wings actually build and test their decals to ensure they actually fit properly before releasing them.

As mentioned above, the black scallop decals for the tail don't fit well in the fillet areas at all, being too large.  So, I decided the best way to approach this was to put the decal on, and then cut off the offending bit, and then mask and paint that area.  So, a couple snaps showing 50% of the decals on and drying:

DSCN3637_zpsbabf204a.jpg

DSCN3636_zpsa23ebd8b.jpg

After I get these snuggled down I'll add the other side of the rudder/stab and the top of the elevator/stab decals.  Then, as with the others, I'll clear coat, sand any bumps away, and then paint in the missing black areas.  Once that is done I can put the remaining decals on the fuselage, as I wanted to limit the potential of having to mask over any decal if at all possible.

The last remaining hard part will be getting the stripes on the cowl.  I'm tempted to just mask and paint them rather than try to get the decals to conform to the compound curves of the cowl ring...

Thanks for looking!

Doug

• Like 2

• 4 months later...