The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Model Space Millenium Falcon - question

crazypoet

So I'm interested in this very large scale Kit of the Millenium Falcon - supposedly a 1:1 scale model of the actual prop from the Empire Strikes Back.  This is not an inexpensive kit, and is sold by subscription.

does anyone have any experience with this supplier and kit?

http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html

I like the level of detail they provide - seems a great platform for adding additional detail.  I guess my concern is with the overall price vs kit quality.  If I'm going to shell out the serious coin they're asking, I want a kit hat is essentially perfect in fit and finish...

any thoughts?

• Administrators

You called?

Yes, I have this kit. It's seriously ÜBER! So many possibilities if you want to mod it, and loads of 3D-printed stuff, PE and electronics for it. 

If you are seriously considering a project of this scale, the Falcon is the way to go. Check out the various Facebook pages for the model and you'll see many dozens of enthusiasts doing incredible stuff with it....internal corridor lighting, smuggling and maintenance holes, fibre optics, pulsating engine lights, 3D-printed hold and cockpit stuff, engine exhausts.. Check out 'deago millennium falcon' on www.shapeways.com for starters, and look at these pulsating lights for the rear: http://www.falcon3dparts.com/falcon_lights_set/ 

Go for it! I'll be starting mine in the next weeks. I just need a game plan for something this size. 

• Like 3

I am also subscribed to this kit (to SWMBO's horror - but it is for my son...honest) and can only echo James' post. It seriously needs a good build plan to complete it and lots of room. The results OOB are good but with added tweaking it can be sublime.

Regards,

• Like 1

Well, bugger!

i was half hoping everyone would say that it's crap, so I wouldn't have to get it...

now I'm stuck!

it absolutely won't be done in the same timeframe that the pieces arrive (other items in the stash are ahead in the queue).

but.. Damn.  It's the Millenium Freaking Falcon, in huge crawl-inside-the-thing-and-explore-it scale...!

ok.  Mrs Poet's eyes will roll back in her head - but she's a fan as well...  I also have exactly the *perfect* spot, once it's done.

• Like 2

• Administrators
18 hours ago, crazypoet said:

Well, bugger!

i was half hoping everyone would say that it's crap, so I wouldn't have to get it...

now I'm stuck!

it absolutely won't be done in the same timeframe that the pieces arrive (other items in the stash are ahead in the queue).

but.. Damn.  It's the Millenium Freaking Falcon, in huge crawl-inside-the-thing-and-explore-it scale...!

ok.  Mrs Poet's eyes will roll back in her head - but she's a fan as well...  I also have exactly the *perfect* spot, once it's done.

Did you order it? Yes?

We demand proof! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James H said:

Did you order it? Yes?

We demand proof! ;)

Order going in today...  I'm already planning enhancements, lol

i read up on it a good bit yesterday, and the modular approach to construction really does lend itself well to the sorts of "improvements" we do around here. :D

it doesn't specify anywhere in the literature (that I've yet seen at any rate) but from the raw dimensions on this beast, the scale seems to fall somewhere between 1:32 and 1:24.  Lots of room to play!

• Like 1

Ah - I found the scale and it's smaller than I thought.  It shows as 1:43 on the website.  Seems like it should be larger.  Oh, well - I'm getting it anyway. 

Now we need to get Eduard to work *their* magic...  I can already see places where a bit of PE and resin could be quite handy.  I'm gonna have to do *something* about those dead-flat instrument panels...  

20 minutes ago, James H said:

It's also 1:1 with the movie prop.

True that.  Does that mean it fits our "1:32 or larger" requirements? :D

i've done some browsing of their build logs.  There's an amazing amount of room for detailing and weathering of both the interior and exterior of the ship.

fortunately (or not) I'm not married to making this *exactly* as it existed for the movie.  This was a busy working ship between episodes, so there's scope to do a bit of "wandering" with details.

I noticed that they've made the interior far too clean and tidy. I need to fix that... all those sharp and/or lumpy and/or explosive bits of kit they wore around are sure to have done at least some damage to the upholstery.  And I suspect that Chewie probably shed a bit and left unclothed-large-furry-humanoid stains wherever he sat for any length of time.

not to mention that never once did I see any of them wipe their feet prior to entering the ship...

I spent a bit of time wandering around the Model Space forums.  There's people doing some impressive work with this kit.  

I also found the SciFi equivalent of Eduard - ParaGrafix - and ordered a batch of PE enhancements for the cockpit, hold, engine and corridors.  

It will likely be several months months before the subscription delivers enough parts to really get going on this, which is good as it will allow me time to adjust and get things moving on other builds waiting in the queue.