Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Need decals for 1/32 Me109 Yellow 2

PAnderson

I just got done reading "A Higher Call". What an awesome book and a story of an awesome post war friendship. So, I just bought Trumpeters Me109 G6 kit. I want to do it up as Franz Stiglers "Yellow 2" from JG 27. I cannot find any decals for this aircraft. Does anyone know of any source for these markings? I will also be doing the 1/32 B-17 as "Ye Olde Pub" when HK's kit hits the market. I will need decals for this also. I will be building this kit as it was before the fateful encounter. So, again, does anyone know of sources for these decals? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Paul

Masks definitely in this scale

AdAstra were IMHO the best out there but Ian seems to have disappeared off the face, so go with what the guys have recommended

Keep in mind you'll need to research the size etc of whatever you ask for unless it is a standard bird / markings etc - this is in itself sometimes a useful exercise

Let us know how you get on / what prices you are quoted, as I will be in the market for some masks one day soon I hope

BTW - "A Higher Call" is on my wish list for Fathers Day!

Perhaps purchasing the Kits World 1:72 decals KW172054 and forward to Precision Masks and Joe will hit those masks spot on for you.  Somewhat expensive, but you get the markings right the first round.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Looks like that is what I will do. I will post a WIP when I start this. I do have 2 1/48 B-17's I could do up as the shot up version of Ye Olde Pub. Not 100% sure yet. Either way, this was a story that needs remembering.

BTW - "A Higher Call" is on my wish list for Fathers Day!

Perhaps purchasing the Kits World 1:72 decals KW172054 and forward to Precision Masks and Joe will hit those masks spot on for you.  Somewhat expensive, but you get the markings right the first round.

Rick, this book brought tears to my eyes more than once. To read first hand that experience from both sides was extremely gratifying. But! To realize that the Luftwaffe was nowhere like the rest of the Nazi regime was an eye opener. You won't be disappointed.

Paul

• Like 1

• Members

Paul,

One more thing here, not sure if the Kits World decals are accurate for the time frame of this event.  At the time of this event, Stigler was assigned to 6./JG 27 (II Gruppe) which would have had a horizontal bar aft of the Balkankreuz not the "welle" as portrayed.  It appears that the aircraft on the decal sheet is actually based on a photo from later date when Stigler was assigned to 12./JG 27.

Another option if you are in comparison mode… try Mal Mayfields Miracle Masks…  used this on my Spitty, Mustang and B25 and that went pretty well. Mal's a great guy to work with, so he has my recommendation. Just thought it would help to give you some options! Cheers, Jeroen

Paul,

One more thing here, not sure if the Kits World decals are accurate for the time frame of this event.  At the time of this event, Stigler was assigned to 6./JG 27 (II Gruppe) which would have had a horizontal bar aft of the Balkankreuz not the "welle" as portrayed.  It appears that the aircraft on the decal sheet is actually based on a photo from later date when Stigler was assigned to 12./JG 27.

Mike,

Thanks.

• Members

Here is an interview with Franz Stigler. The pictures here, I presume, were taken at his residence. Is this possible? that the last picture has the sideways "S", was of his aircraft?

Stigler Interview

Paul

Yeah, the "sideways S" or "welle" denotes IV Gruppe (at this point in the war, earlier it denoted III Gruppe).  Aviation artists, like modelers, don't necessarily always get the little details right.  I think the artist based that picture on a photo of Stigler's aircraft in Feb of '44, I don't think the machine that the incident took place in was ever photographed in Dec of '43.  I'm not saying there isn't a possibilty I could be wrong but IMHO I don't think the IV Gruppe "welle" belongs on there.

Also note in the painting that the nose carries the "Berlin Bear" badge of II Gruppe, which conflicts with the IV Gruppe welle.