The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Mi-171A2 Accident Video

Martinnfb

This accident happened on August 3rd in Elbrus region during the test flight of the new 171A2.Apparently this accident is related to an sudden engine failure,Nobody was injured, however the hello is beyond repair. The Mi-172Aa tests started in 2014 as a new mid-class helicopter with cruising speed 260 km/h, carrying capacity 24 passengers.

• Like 1

The statement/speculation above comes directly from the article. This updated Mi-17 prototype is utilizing brand new Klimov  VK-2500 PS 03 turboshaft engines, that are specifically designed for hot and dry operations. VK -2500 are lighter, stronger, more efficient then the previous power plants. The actual results of the investigation of the accident was not released yet

wiki data sheet:

General characteristics

• Type: Turboshaft
  • Length: 2,055 mm
  • Diameter: 728 mm (height)
  • Dry weight: 300 kg

Components

• Compressor: Axial

Performance

• Like 1

Well................................ back to the drawing board..............................

As a helicopter nut, that breaks my heart, I am glad all were ok, but still looks to have been a fairly firm landing..................kind of shows the cabin strength of this machine though......

• Like 2

My son, a Major in the Canadian Army flew in a 17 in Afghanistan, said it was like flying in his Leopard, built VERY strong and robust, he felt very safe in it... I thought it was cool, that he go to fly in one... I'd love to as well, they are plentiful, so that must show it's a good machine..... he said it was a blast.....a great ride....

• Like 3

• Administrators

The only reason we don’t have them here is the refusal of the FAA to grant them a Type Certificate. 

Pressure from Boeing, Sikorsky, and Bell over potential lost sales is the only reason the FAA won’t do it. They say “safety”, but they’re easily as safe and reliable as the best we have. Same with Russian fixed wing. No Type Certificate? No commercial flying.  AN-2 would be at home in the Canadian Arctic, but Bombardier, Boeing, Cessna, and others would lose to a better design.   An-124 or IL-76? Safe enough to continuously fly about our Country transporting all sorts of oversized and bulky loads, take our Armies to the Middle East and back, transport ICBMs and civilian booster rockets and commercial airliner components,  as long as it they’re owned and operated by Ukrainian or Russian Companies, but somehow they’re not safe enough to be certified in North America.

As an aviator it bothers me as I always wanted to have the best equipment for the job, regardless of who made it. Sorry for the rant. :)

• Like 4

Martin, the guy manning eh gun could be my son !  , he said they were really cool birds....loud, strong and to the point.......maybe we might get these as a replacement, in about 200 years, as we use our birds until there is nothing left, just retired our 1960's Seakings...... I had to chuckle, when  I saw a Canadian Seaking crew member wearing a patch on his uniform, with an embroidered Seaking, it read.................. " Flying Yesterday's Aircraft Tomorrow"....................... had to chuckle at that one....

Ernie, never worry about a rant like that, with a son in the Canadian Army and my daughter in law in the RCAF I more than agree with you, but our Federal Government, doesn't seem to look at it like that..... I guess that's why were are buying used 20 year old F-18's to replace our 30 year old F 18's............ :wacko:

• Like 2

That's pretty cool Jeff. I am so tempted to convert Mi-17 into Canadian version, just because this whole story was swept under the rug, If I am not mistaken these helicopters were later given to Afghan AF. Canadian taxpayers would surely appreciate such a generosity considering the equipment that is fighting fires in BC or conducting SAR mission all over our wild country.

Yup I am gonna build one. 

And the thing about F-18, even Australians think that we're nuts. But let us not get political. 

One more thing. I salute to your son and all of his buddies for defending our values, heritage and lifestyle.

• Like 2

Yeah, no politics.. ;-)  and yes we could use a little more 'iron' with the fires, although we are lucky right here in Nelson, nothing so far , but it's all around us......

I appreciate your thanks for our 'families' service  they ALL do an awesome job...

Yes, Us Canadians are a generous lot.....................:huh:

• Like 2