The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

On 2/14/2021 at 2:21 AM, jmw said:

You mention Rivets on the Mosquito.  There were no rivets on the Mosquito.  Look at photos carefully and you will not see any, or panel lines.  The mossy was wooden, two thin sheets of ply with grain set at 90 dgrees with a thick sheet of balsa in between.  These were set in place against the bulkheads and faired in place.  This gave the mossy a smooth surface on the fuselage, wings, tailplane, nacelles etc.

That’s completely wrong. The nacelles are ENTIRELY metal with no wood whatsoever. The rest of the airframe is wood but not the nacelles. In fact there are references in the thread from a Canadian restoration showing the metal nacelles. I also used extensive scale references.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PeteF said:

That’s completely wrong. The nacelles are ENTIRELY metal with no wood whatsoever. The rest of the airframe is wood but not the nacelles. In fact there are references in the thread from a Canadian restoration showing the metal nacelles. I also used extensive scale references.

4ECCAFAB-46FD-467D-9CFE-360302CE7BBE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Drifter said:

Was not out choice Peter. Life threw me a curve ball and I had to forget about bench time for quite a while. Will still complete it.

It’s worth it…I have it in my office now and it’s a great discussion starter. 

• Like 4