The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

I had also used the decal in the barracuda kit for the escape hatch on the top. I also used the latest floor shine stuff but the decal got messed up. However it did make a guide for the hoop over the pilot's head. Think it's for a knock-out panel to equalize pressure. This is still a test fit.

1024180932.jpg

• Like 2

Pete, you do so much with just what you have! Thanks for the tip about replacement parts. I emailed again and addressed to Lynne. A humble suggested addition is Tamiya AS-12 Silver spray paint: I use it as a primer since it grips bare plastic quite well and can be used as an underlayer for weathering.

Cheers,  Tom

• Like 1

The big open space on the firewall on the bottom pic should have the throttle and mixture control rods which are totally missing in this kit. Finally scratch built them.

Paint and install tomorrow. Hope to have all the final assembly done tomorrow so I can start concentrating on final detailing.

1026182102.jpg

1026182102a.jpg

• Like 3

Great job ! Getting there, and it pomises to be spectacular.

Btw, as a « tool-addict » who has always professed he needed the « right tool for the right job » ( :rolleyes: oh, the strength of self-delusion) what you have achieved is all the more spectacular when I see your bench.

Hubert

• Like 4

On 10/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, Jackster said:

returned to modelling for the first time in 30 years or so. Seeing your sterling work has given me the nudge I need to source a kit I think. 

Kev, welcome to LSM a great place to be........check out

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/models/view-all 

they are heavily discounting the Mossie at the moment, a few left.......

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

they are heavily discounting the Mossie at the moment, a few left.......

Cheers Phil, managed to obtain one from Jadlam, via a well-known auction site for £78.87. For the size of the kit and amount of time it will take I am quite happy to pay that. Just hope I can do it justice :-)

Meanwhile, Pete is blowing me away with his work, fantastic stuff! Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers Kev

• Like 1

It’s assembled! Not finished but assembled. The rubber ammo chutes in the front really let it down.  Poor detail, paint doesn’t stick and I couldn’t get a decent effect in the shallow dents where you can see nto the chutes. Kind of gave up on them.

Now just detailing and filling and touching up the canopy seam. And the props and spinners.

81A3C96B-8728-400A-8871-DB4139E6FB9F.jpeg

• Like 6

Here's a better shot of the throttle/mixture control rods. This is one of those "make or break" parts that should have been in the kit. I found some good references from the web of these. I've seen other scratch built versions on Airfix Mosquitos but they weren't very scale.

1029180855.jpg

• Like 4

And here's how the guns came out with the disappointing ammo chutes. Basically the paint completely flaked off the rubber as I was installing them and I had to hand repaint them in situ. I could never get a clean and adequate effect in the "windows" so gave up and this isn't the best part of the model :(

1029180905.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1