The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

This is interesting. A couple of clear coats slightly darkened the colors but  changed how my camera phone exposes the green. It looks the same as before to the eye. Made a fix to the pattern on the port nacelle and that's done!

1014181345a.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Peter

Did you use flash, as the greens closer to the phone appear lighter in shade and tone.

Peter

Ah, no...I moved it from primarily incandescent to flourescent lights!

• Like 2

Peter

Just could be the lighter side is both closer to the source of illumination and also closer to the phone, accounting for the difference in color. A White Balance change could cause problems as well, when  auto WB is being used. No matter what - looks fantastic

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

Here's an observation about using the acrylics for the first time. The soft sprayed edge looks weird because it's watery green so actually looks like bright green rather than "overspray." The reason this took so long to paint the green on was that the pencil line had little opacity (so literally took 20 coats) and I had to work it with both damp Q-tips and back-spray with gray once in a while. And at the end of they day, I didn't get the appearance of as tight of a spray pattern as I had waned because I had to fix the transition zone until it looked right. 

This would have taken half an hour with Model Masters enamel.

Dreading painting the canopy, it's going to take a million coats to cover the frame.

• Like 2

Along the way, I picked up the aftermarket photo-etched radiators. At first I didn't think they added much but they do add a nice touch to the front. A lot of the aftermarket parts for this kit are no longer in production so this was one of the few I could get. I wish I could find the intake grille covers (the kit ones are solid) but they are long out of production.

1014181638.jpg

• Like 3

I can see how a visual effect gets lost at smaller scales so warrants "faking" (airbrushing vs. making)  it. Next time, if I were to use this paint I wouldn't use the "air" of the green. The gray was magnificent but the green "air" paint was pre-thinned so much there wasn't anything I could do to help it. 

• Like 2

What a stressful day. I knew this would be hard. Mounting the ailerons/flaps and nacelles was a lot of swearing, breaking small bits and hangar rash. This thing is just too big and the subassemblies are too strong to finesse into place. You have to muscle and bend things together. I need a break!

1015181716.jpg

• Like 5

A couple of notes on this kit. The weak part of the landing gear turned out to be the long struts that simply glue to the upper back of the nacelles. One of those fits tightly into a slot, the other just glues to a flat face. Guess which one(s) popped off while mounting the nacelles. So those have to be WAY more secure than just glueing them conventionally.

Also with a mix of metal/plastic in the gear, I had a fun time with bits that were CA glued together popping off. 

One other note, DO NOT PRE-FIT THE AILERONS! They have little tabs that click into the hinges (which is really neat) but those tabs are ONE USE ONLY. I found out the hard way that putting them in once and taking them off leaves you nothing whatever to glue the ailerons to.

The instructions are all pictures with no text so you get to find these things out the hard way :(

• Like 2

Used the Montex masks to paint the B-type roundel on the wings. The kit only had C-type roundel (the ones with white between the red and blue) in it for later planes. Those masks were fabulous to work with. I used a tip I'd read by dabbing clear into the cracks where there were panel lines.

Mixed the red to match what the fuselage and tail decals looked like. From my experience with red insignias on my Nanchang, red fades (badly) quickly.

44321823_1515077851926256_4961632600721457152_n.jpg

• Like 4

Brilliant Pete!!!  I plan on starting mine in December and will use your build a "How To" guide. Job well done. I am eagerly waiting to see what Eduard are bringing to the market end of October.  They are launching PE sets for this beast.

• Like 2

The masks I got from Mal had beautiful instructions and had masking material to put over the stencils to transfer them safely to the model. The Montex ones had no instructions or extra material so I had to use tape. Both were of the same material...relatively low tack but crossed panel lines and went over curves with no bleed whatsoever.

So this monster was on my desk by my incandescent lights and one of them was too close to the wing and melted a dent in it! Right at the front of the roundel so thank goodness I’d painted it so I can fix it.

Also FINALLY got the .303 gun barrels after weeks of waiting. for them to ship from Poland.

C63B4E52-756F-4182-B2D0-2A9A9F7772C3.jpeg

• Like 6