Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

F-15E- which kit do you think - or something else ??

npb748r

having spent the past few days at Centre Parcs near Lakenhealth I've spent all day listening to F15E's take off and land (I have no idea how people who live near by can be happy - it's constant loud noise - given I'm a plane nerd even I thought it was too much after a few days of constant noise !!). Anyway, it got me thinking about building one, I built the Revell F15C back in the 80's and can't really recall much about it other than it was big. Anyone else here built one of the F-15s (I think it's only Tamiya and Revell that have released them ?). I don't want to have to do any aftermarket stuff and I'm not that good a modeller so like to have decent kits that go together without too much trouble, but I don't care about accuracy.  I'd rather do a different subject if they aren't that easy to build. I was also looking at the SU27/30 by trumpeter, again, anyone have any views on those kits would be much appreciated.  I feel I need to build something which generates the noise I've been experiencing. 

thanks in advance

neil

• Like 1

The Tamiya F-15E has much better detail and fit than the Revell kit, but is a bit more expensive. There is a ton of aftermarket, which you note you don't want to take on, but some is helpful in that it removes the need to sand inside the intakes and exhaust cans which is a big pain. Now talking about big, the SU 27 is humongous! It has some accuracy issues. but goes together well in my opinion. I have built the Tamiya F-15C and enjoyed the build. Look around for some reviews online.

• Like 2

I'd agree with Harv and Smitty that the Tamiya F-15s are the way to go. You can pick the 15C up fairly reasonably from some of the Chinese sellers on ebay. I'd recommend the GT Resin stuff for the intakes and cans if you do decide to add any aftermarket.

• Like 2