The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

101 Sqn RAF from 1943 - 1945

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

Just doing some research on my long since departed ex Father in Law, and it appears that before 429 RCAF Sqn, he flew as an airgunner with 101 Sqn RAF, first on Wellingtons, then on to Lancs.  He was then transferred to 429 Sqn RCAF when that unit switched from the Halifax to the Lanc.

I can't see much on 101 Sqn RAF, but they apparently were involved in ECM work and suffered the highest loss rate of any Bomber Command outfit.

No wonder he would never get into an aircraft again...

• Like 5

About 12-15 miles from me.

Ludford magna sometimes referred to as 'Mudford magna' due to the conditions that prevailed. It was the highest elevated airfield in the country I believe.

Because of the role that the squadron undertook, that of carrying 'ABC', they flew crews and aircraft on virtually every operation dispatched by Bomber Command and hence the high losses. Not much left of the airfield site today although there are several building scattered throughout the village itself.

I have been to several reunions over the years but veterans are getting less at each reunion these days.

There is usually a parade in front of the squadron memorial, located on the main road through the village, where respects are paid to the fallen and a younger generation learn of those that had gone before them.

"We will remember them "

• Like 5

• Administrators

The RCAF records we have show 429 Sqn, but much of the record wasn't in his RCAF folder because he was attached to the RAF for so long.  I'm blown away.

Ludford Magna is what's listed so yep, that's the correct unit.  I remember him always referring to "Mudford", but until now, I had no clue why.

His AG training shows him as an "above average" student but lists him as "totally unsuitable for instructor duty", which jives exactly with the man I knew. "Not a people person" is putting it mildly. He was quick to use his fists, even when well into his 80s.   Which makes it all the more surprising that he was transferred to 429 when they converted to Lancs. He was the kind of person you'd leave alone and allow to do his job. His books show the positions manned as G1, G2, G3, etc, all the way to G5, so I assume the numbering system applied to the various gun positions on the aircraft. That surprises me too, because he always said he was a tail gunner.

Interesting stuff, but odd.

• Like 3