The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Drooling Bulldog paints

TJTX

Anybody use the WW1 line of paints sold by Drooling Bulldog paints? I'm struggling to find the colors I want and they have the exact shades I need.  Are the enamel, lacquer, acrylic? Do they go on well, mask well? Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

I never even heard of them. Share a link if you can.

They have the PC10 I want but not the linen color I need unfortunately.  Guess I stick with "sail" color from Gunze.

• Like 2

I use them all the time. Highly commended. Glossy lacquer with a slight translucency that means depth of colour can be adjusted, e.g. Red barons translucent red alby.

Spray neat. Dry in seconds. Can be decalled over. Responds to salt chipping etc. Mask over with Tamiya tape.

as it's lacquer, any liquid cement or solvent re dissolves it, unless futured

I love them.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, TJTX said:

They have the PC10 I want but not the linen color I need unfortunately.  Guess I stick with "sail" color from Gunze

Tony, have you checked out Tru-Color Paints? My LHS stocks them for their WWI colors. They're out of Arizona too.

http://trucolorpaint.com/

I'm currently using their Metallic silver on a build and so far I like the way it sprays. I'm using Mr Leveling Thinner on it. 

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Tony, have you checked out Tru-Color Paints? My LHS stocks them for their WWI colors. They're out of Arizona too.

http://trucolorpaint.com/

I'm currently using their Metallic silver on a build and so far I like the way it sprays. I'm using Mr Leveling Thinner on it. 

Carl

They say acrylic, but are they like Tamiya? That confusing combination of an acrylic lacquer? 

• Like 2

I'd say that's probably correct. It does have a lacquer smell to it. The LHS recommended either Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr Color Leveling thinner so that's what I used. I found it sprays very similar to Mr Color. 

The pigment is fine, not as coarse as what you see in Tamiya acrylics. I haven't tried brushing them either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I'd say that's probably correct. It does have a lacquer smell to it. The LHS recommended either Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr Color Leveling thinner so that's what I used. I found it sprays very similar to Mr Color. 

The pigment is fine, not as coarse as what you see in Tamiya acrylics. I haven't tried brushing them either. 

Thanks.  They seem to be missing the color I need as well.  I can find PC-10 everywhere, but I cant find the "Irish linen" color for the lower wings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TJTX said:

Thanks.  They seem to be missing the color I need as well.  I can find PC-10 everywhere, but I cant find the "Irish linen" color for the lower wings.

They have a Yellow doped linen listed as TCP-1254. It's under the British Flying Corp section. It's definitely not the easiest site to navigate. 

But it looks like 1to1 found exactly what you're looking for.  

Carl

• Like 1