Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

MRP Paint, going to try it...

1to1scale

Today I decided I’m going to take the plunge away from my favorite Tamiya paints for airbrushing and going to try some MRP. Since Hobbyworld is always seems to be out of one of the colors I need for a project, I’m going to order from Sprue Brothers, since they actually have all four of the SEA colors I need for the F-105D I’m working on. Unfortunately, they don’t have the IDF Skyhawk colors yet, so I’m going to use Tamiya mixes for that. What tips do you guys have for using these? 

BTW, I’m going to use them for the Trumpeter 1/32 F-105D OOB, with the exception of fin correction and belts.

1to1 as crazy as it sounds, I use a syringe without the needle attached.

As you prob know Tamiya sprays best @ 50/50...well at least for me anyway!

So the syringe it typically 3-4 ML in measured increments, the first dip is always in thinner...draw out the amount you need and then onto the next color and so on.

Using the ticks on the side of the syringe it's pretty easy from there to know how much of each color to drop in. (If your desired color was 1 part color + 1 part color then using this method would be 3ml of Thinner + 1.5ml of 1st color + 1.5ml of second color)

Last stop is a container with thinner in in to clean it out.

BTW this really works best with ISO or Tamiya thinner, other solvents affect the slide and rubber plunger.

If you're like me, you'll love MRP. I don't use thinner; they're airbrush ready. Make sure you cover everything; they don't hand brush well at all. Proper ventilation is a must, too.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

BTW this really works best with ISO or Tamiya thinner, other solvents affect the slide and rubber plunger.

I have a couple of glass-on-glass syringes. They'll take anything except hydrofluoric acid.