The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Need help with aerial wire.

Hi guys. 

I am trying to complete my Tony. The wire is kicking my butt. I have been at this for more than 2 hours. My hands have no sensation. It is like trying to use bratwurst chopsticks. I am worried I will break my model. I have tried with mending thread and EZ line.

What is the easyist way to connect an aerial?

No hurry. I am walking away and will try tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Dale,

With EZ line you have the benefit of stretch.  So, I can suggest that once you have one point attached, let the CA cure for a bit.   Then, you can attach the other, free end to a place in line with the aerial.  So, instead of a floppy, loose end, you have a taut line that you can place on the post.  If you have any CA kicker, you can dab a bit on to harden the CA.  Having a lack of sensation makes it much harder, I understand.  But it's really the only trick I know for attaching an EZ line aerial.

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gaz.

I am going to try stretching spru. I have never done it. I am really concerned i will break the Tony after so many hours.

Being Sunday, I have all day. The Frank is on hold until my replacement arrives or I find the propellor. I may take a day off my main builds and build the 72 scale MiG 29 or an easy tank.

Thanks again. 

Very fine monofilament (like 3lb fishing line) will work better than stretched sprue. It is easy to glue at both ends. And to make it taught, just pass underneath an incandescent matchstick (or toothpick). It will straighten like magic ! And will be inherently stronger more resilient to the occasional knock or wandering finger than stretched sprue ...

Hubert

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, HubertB said:

Very fine monofilament (like 3lb fishing line) will work better than stretched sprue. It is easy to glue at both ends. And to make it taught, just pass underneath an incandescent matchstick (or toothpick). It will straighten like magic ! And will be inherently stronger more resilient to the occasional knock or wandering finger than stretched sprue ...

Hubert

I tried. I used to do it mate. My hands are weird. I went to my only option.

I am sorry I missed this post. I think my brain is acting up. :D

• Like 1

Stabilize your forearms first.

Get them as flat on the bench as possible FIRST  and adjust the model ,without jeopardizing it , to suit where your hands are.

I think you will find that getting your arms from the elbow up sorted will help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1