The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AK interactive extreme metal paints

belugawhaleman

Can the extreme metal range of paints from AK interactive be applied with a paint brush or is

airbrush only?  I want to do some detail work and I haven't used these paints before.They are described as

"Airbrush ready" and I'm wondering if they might be too thin for brush work.

• Like 1

I tried too, but without success. For brush painting I use different products, depending the conditions. True Metal waxes from AK, metallic colours from Scale 75 (acrylics), sometimes dilluted Tamiya metallics, and lots of different Pigments, where the Uschi van der Rosten are the best, but only available for steel, chrome and iron tones.
Brushing metallics is not so easy, I found, the finer the grain, the better the results. Even different Tamiya Aluminum tones are very different in the outcome.
I try to airbrush metallics as much as possible and here are the AK Extreme Metals my go to, great shine, fine grain and very durable and especially durability wise, they are better than most of the Alclads.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

I don't know what you have in mind, but I had a recent project, which involved a lot of non-FE finishes, that might help. Most of it was sprayed, but I used lots of pigments an pastes and hand painting to get the project done.

Cheers Rob

Rob, your Nautilus and Squid looks fantastic. I'm just looking for a more realistic weathered looking brass or copper finish than the too bright looking brass and copper paints I've been using.

I'm planning another Takom Renault ft build and I want the engine to be a little more realistic this

Time.

• Thanks 1

When I paint metals, I start with a new looking finish of colour or wax on primer and try to achieve the most realistic looking metallic sheen. Then there is weathering and ageing the metal. With copper and brass, everything is about patina, which can be best achieved with blue and green washes and mainly pigments.

A good guide for copper ageing is made by the talented builder Fichtenfoo. 

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/in-progress-»-fish-sub-»-copper-patina-»/

I hope that helps, as a Renault FT is as close to steam punk as possible ;).

Cheers Rob

• Thanks 1