Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Metal & Plastic Model: Messerschmitt Bf109G Aircraft - Artesania Latina - 1/16 (Reference: 20356)

BigDan

• 1 year later...

Hallo, I have the full kit for the BF109G. I have started with painting most of the die-cast parts. I will not paint the so-called silver parts. In my opinion the cast-iron parts match perfectly with the stainless steel parts without further manipulation.

Then I moved to the assembly of the fuselage, which in my opinion is not straightforward, because in some occasions the metal pegs are difficult to insert into the (too) narrow slots, this is a pain as it leads to bending of some pegs. So far the assembly is feasible and OK. I did not like the fact that everything needs to be glued, even the parts which are held by bent pegs, they simply remain too loose. 

Once you need to glue the flat steel parts onto the die-cast parts, things get ugly. You have to press the flat parts in order to follow the slight curvatures on the cast parts, glue them while holding them firmly pressed down. Even if this succeeds, the result is very poor, leaving gaps and splits. The assembly relies too heavy on the CA glue. Looking at the rest of the story, it is obvious that the complete assembly will be frustratingly hard, with a very poor result.

That why i got heartbroken and decided to leave the kit unfinished (until maybe somebody can teach me how to get this glueing job done).

Sorry everybody, keep your fingers off it!

Jacques

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Hallo, I have the full kit for the BF109G. I have started with painting most of the die-cast parts. I will not paint the so-called silver parts. In my opinion the cast-iron parts match perfectly with the stainless steel parts without further manipulation.

Then I moved to the assembly of the fuselage, which in my opinion is not straightforward, because in some occasions the metal pegs are difficult to insert into the (too) narrow slots, this is a pain as it leads to bending of some pegs. So far the assembly is feasible and OK. I did not like the fact that everything needs to be glued, even the parts which are held by bent pegs, they simply remain too loose. 

Once you need to glue the flat steel parts onto the die-cast parts, things get ugly. You have to press the flat parts in order to follow the slight curvatures on the cast parts, glue them while holding them firmly pressed down. Even if this succeeds, the result is very poor, leaving gaps and splits. The assembly relies too heavy on the CA glue. Looking at the rest of the story, it is obvious that the complete assembly will be frustratingly hard, with a very poor result.

That why i got heartbroken and decided to leave the kit unfinished (until maybe somebody can teach me how to get this glueing job done).

Jacques

DSC07872.thumb.jpg.57d20605ea347da8a370c2161da21326.jpg

DSC07855.jpg

DSC07862.jpg

DSC07868.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to LSM Jacques and thanks for the warning about the 109 kit. I liked the looks, when I saw the firs pictures, but on closer inspection, I expected something like you experienced now. 
Have you tried different types of CA with the kit? After years of trying different CA glues, I found my personal favorite, it's Colle 21 from Spain. It doesn't cure rapidly, when applied, but on contact of the parts, it hardens fast. Therefore, it's very comfortable to work with.

Cheers Rob

• 11 months later...
On 8/20/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jacques said:

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

I agree.  I recently purchased this model only to find that I had problems with the tags.  Several of which broke off and I had to solder those parts of the body together.  I had a terrible job TRYING to make the six body tags fit into the firewall.....again I have had to solder and it still did not look anywhere as good as they do in the tutorial videos.  My BIG wonder now is, will the body hold the weight of the engine when fitted.  The engine and forward are so very heavy and to have expected the six tags to have held them for any length of time makes me concerned.  In order to try and make the body hold securely to the firewall, I am considering using something like 'Tough an Nails' glue, but trying to use it in such a way as to show as little as possible.  I have painted the panels and parts that show paint colours in the instructions.  The three things that surpaised me the most were how heavy the model actually is, How easily the tags break and how easy it looks to construct in the tutorial videos.  Anyway, best of luck.

• Like 1