The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/35 Tamiya German Panther Medium Tank

For the "Beaches to Berlin - D-Day to VE-Day" I've chosen to build a P38J Lockheed Lightning in full suit of D-Day markings but also was considering trying my hand at building a 1/35 Tamiya German Panther Medium Tank.
I've built model cars, airplanes and ships but have never modeled armor so I know little of Tamiya other than they make excellent aircraft models, paints, tool etc.
My question is, am I biting off more than I can chew by attempting this kit as my introduction to armor modeling?

TigerTank_zps6d2222d1.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ralph!

Actually, I think you chose wisely for your first armor kit. From the box photo, it appears you have chosen the Panther kit that Tamiya originally issued in the mid-1970's. Although their armor kits of that era don't have the parts count of todays Dragon and Tamiya armor releases, they still build up beautifully. I built the mid-70's release Tamiya T-34/76 a couple of years ago and I thought it was pretty amazing. It was a "shake and bake" kit of the first order. I think I had the whole thing assembled and ready for paint over the course of one weekend. I strongly suspect you will be able to do the same with the Panther.

I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Regards,

Ed

Hi Ralph!

Actually, I think you chose wisely for your first armor kit. From the box photo, it appears you have chosen the Panther kit that Tamiya originally issued in the mid-1970's. Although their armor kits of that era don't have the parts count of todays Dragon and Tamiya armor releases, they still build up beautifully. I built the mid-70's release Tamiya T-34/76 a couple of years ago and I thought it was pretty amazing. It was a "shake and bake" kit of the first order. I think I had the whole thing assembled and ready for paint over the course of one weekend. I strongly suspect you will be able to do the same with the Panther.

I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Regards,

Ed

Thanks Ed for the feedback. I've been fascinated seeing all the armor and WW1 builds on LSM but have shied away from both because of guide wires and tracks. I thought the "Beaches to Berlin" build would give the opportunity to stretch my horizons with a armor build but didn't want to get over my head. The price on eBay unopened is $23.00 so if the kit takes a direct shell hit I won't be out much other than my pride, lol!!

Ralph

• Like 1

Ey Ralph,

This looks like a very nice project! There were quita a few Panther Ausf. A's in action in Normandy, certainly more than the Allied higher-up's cared to think! They made the mistake of classing the Panther along the Tiger in the "big, deadly but rare"-class while it actually was meant as "medium, deadly and numerous like the Pz.Kpfw. IV". It didn't quite make that second mark either, but it was around in such numbers that it was a nasty surprise... Luckily for the Allies, the level of training diminished over time as more and more experienced crews got chopped...

This Panther ought to be a very pleasurable building experience. This Tamiya Panther doesn't rate as being particular accurate but you really have to know your Panthers to see that. I can't see it / point it out from the top of my head so don't let it put you down. As a first armour kit it's brilliant to try your hand at armour painting and weathering techniques!

I'll watch with interest!!

• Like 2

Ey Ralph,

This looks like a very nice project! There were quita a few Panther Ausf. A's in action in Normandy, certainly more than the Allied higher-up's cared to think! They made the mistake of classing the Panther along the Tiger in the "big, deadly but rare"-class while it actually was meant as "medium, deadly and numerous like the Pz.Kpfw. IV". It didn't quite make that second mark either, but it was around in such numbers that it was a nasty surprise... Luckily for the Allies, the level of training diminished over time as more and more experienced crews got chopped...

This Panther ought to be a very pleasurable building experience. This Tamiya Panther doesn't rate as being particular accurate but you really have to know your Panthers to see that. I can't see it / point it out from the top of my head so don't let it put you down. As a first armour kit it's brilliant to try your hand at armour painting and weathering techniques!

I'll watch with interest!!

Thanks for that great advice. Jeroen also suggested on my FB group http://www.facebook.com/groups/thebasementairforce

that I look at a Dragon Smart Kit. He suggested that it would be a good first time armor kit.

I look forward to building one after the P38J

Ralph.

• Members

Ralph,

I built this kit last year, my first tank in a very long time:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1955-pzkfw-v-a-panther-ss-panzer-regiment-9-normandy-135-tamiya/

Very basic kit that goes together with no problems.  The only drawback is there's not much aftermarket specifically designed for this kit since it's so old (the stamp on the bottom of the hull on mine said 1969.)

Ralph,

I built this kit last year, my first tank in a very long time:

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1955-pzkfw-v-a-panther-ss-panzer-regiment-9-normandy-135-tamiya/

Very basic kit that goes together with no problems.  The only drawback is there's not much aftermarket specifically designed for this kit since it's so old (the stamp on the bottom of the hull on mine said 1969.)

Wow thanks for the link to your build. Seeing the finished kit was exciting. I'm sold, lol!!

Ralph, I cut my armor teeth on that very kit 40+ years ago. It's what started me in this hobby, and is probably one of the best "first" armor choices out there. I think, over the years, I have built that exact model too many times to count.

• Like 1

Ralph, I cut my armor teeth on that very kit 40+ years ago. It's what started me in this hobby, and is probably one of the best "first" armor choices out there. I think, over the years, I have built that exact model too many times to count.

I just looked through the forum at a few builds and I'm very excited to order the kit on eBay, I just might build the P38J and the 1/35 Tamiya German Panther Medium Tank at the same time!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...