The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thanks Michael.

My instructions are getting dogeared from the almost constant nightly perusal . Finishing off my 'Ypres 1914'  120 mm WW1 fig vignette was a relief, I wont start another kit until I finish one thats on the go:

IMG_0043_zpsrqwoijvv.jpg

I have determined to start with the rest of the armaments and the bombs. Cutting an MDF base to begin that part of things as well. These will be the first postings.

• Like 3

Thanks Micheal.

What I meant was that , and other modellers will concur , when a piece reaches 'critical mass' I will tend to focus on the finish , and get there right smartly. This gets things finished, and I dont mean poking it every 5 minutes to see if the paint is dry! Putting the blinders on and working through the final stages would be an apt description.

I am gonna work on some of this piece today , doing a 4 bladed prop to be cast in metal.

Kit props one on top of the other, visualizing dontcha know:

IMG_0140_zps8nzipqvg.jpg[/

URL]

Went alla way through on this tonight, sectioned and pinned , nicely true. I used liquid glue to double/bubble the two joins.

IMG_0169_zpsvhigzoc1.jpg

IMG_0170_zpsyupylkqo.jpg

IMG_0172_zpsryzj9ch6.jpg

I like that the edit option stays on here for a while , I can add to my posts showing continuity in the work.

Got up and went to the prop , Milliput begins the blending process, you can see the needed filler shapes emerging:

IMG_0177_zpsr4ssngmd.jpg

Coming up nicely:

IMG_0194_zpswpfn1ttj.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Micheal.

I'll be cutting the 1/2" clear acrylic base today.

Stock 1/2" Acrylite FF

IMG_0225_zpsl1ampczu.jpg

Shape defined:

IMG_0226_zpsqp9fprys.jpg

Gothamoebic shape cut out:

IMG_0227_zpsa46w359c.jpg

Visualizing:

IMG_0228_zpss3gipbbm.jpg

Prolly wont go further than a quick edge sanding for now. |Routing and flame polishing to finish most likely.

• Like 1

Thanks Phas!

I realize its paint drying , but the prop has to be cast and I wanna do it a the same time as these m/c wheels:

IMG_0257_zpslr8f5aay.jpg

So a near disaster with the prop , as a result of filling my water bottle with lacquer thinner , I managed to pull it out and get the damage and the final filling done:

IMG_0274_zpsngzezba9.jpg

IMG_0275_zpsjiopdwiy.jpg

The prop mould will be tough but has to be done , then on to the metal casting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good choices, Krow.....

I have to say this.......look at this sort of research material and amazing detail items like Aviattic's fuel cart and I still shudder at what I was trying to do with minimal research material and all scratch built detail items, and AURORA kits, back in the late 60s and early 70s. Talk about the dark ages. If you want to know how far model making has come since then, just think about this: in those days it was a big deal if you went to the trouble of filling in the seams between the fuselage halves. When Squadron Green Putty first came out, every model building guy in the world suddenly was as excited as if he had a date with Penelope Cruz AND her little sister...at the same time......and the ladies were buying dinner...and were dessert.

This is why when people say they think that WnW kits are overpriced, I am really tempted to vomit.....on their shoes.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being frustrated as a kid trying to make certain kits , that are now known as unbuildable.

I now live the truth of making ones own parts , and the devil in that. Speaking of the 4 bladed prop , what a good idea , should have just made 2 out of 4 , but gotta 'play the big shot' as a goof on another forum put it. So into it and here we are , mould box built and prop ready to go as soon as the epoxy dries:

IMG_0356_zps7awjxnje.jpg[/

IMG_0364_zpshboxy7qm.jpg

1905 today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the limited number of WW 1 fig sets , the danger of the upcoming dios will be the similarity of the figure layouts. I cant sculpt figs so the cut and re-position will come into effect. I did manage to secure these two sets, which puts the fig count well over 20:

IMG_0459_zpsmbrfexlq.jpg

• Like 1

Still looking for detail items , came across this set:

IMG_0574_zpsaraahxpc.jpg

Yes I know its geared towards WW 2 , but some of it can be used.

I have decided on a number of smaller ,unavailable detail which are not available, these will be scratchbuilt when the party starts, prolly late October.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And last but polly not least , these fig sets from Black Dog , just arrived and defining the diorama. The same ol' same ol' buncha figs all standing around for a picture , kinda lame but what can ya do!?

Should look ok with some maintenance going on , bomb loading , engine work , etc. Gonna power into it late Oct.

IMG_0675_zpsnq7z9qre.jpg[/u

RL]

I am wondering if things are slowing down too much on this forum , down to one - two posts a day with almost zero new threads. Wonder why that is?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...