The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/35th Tiger 1 Afrika Korps

Hey Guys,

Ok, here we go. First armour build since I was about 10 years old!

Tamiya Tiger 1 Initial Prod. Afrika Korps. I'm glad I picked a fairly non controversial subject for my first tank (NOT!). Got some aftermarket bits too:

Friul Tracks

RB Barrel

Voyager Model Afrika Korp PE set & Stowage Bin

Tow Cables

AK Interactive Afrika Korps Colour Set

AK Interactive Afrika Korps Weathering Set 

I've been looking at the other Tiger WIP's ongoing at the moment, so I hope mine will be OK for a first attempt! (Please go easy!)

A few pics below. Got the hull together and started on the PE and resin from the (very extensive) Voyager set:

DSC_0216_zps5139735c.jpg

DSC_0312_zps9026ab5c.jpg

DSC_0311_zps8363fa2f.jpg

Cheers Guys,

Chris.

Oh, erm, radiators you say....(!)

Well the kit hasn't got any, and I haven't done anything underneath the grills, so I hope it won't be that visible. I may have to retrofit something if I can't make it dark enough in there. Oops....

Clean or beaten up? Hmmm... Most of the Afrika Tiger pics I can find show them in not too bad a shape. The odd bent side skirt and fender but nothing drastic, so I may keep it relatively clean.

Hi Guys,

Been getting on with this quite swiftly. I'm on a weeks holiday and I'm having a modelling 'staycation', like a vacation but stay at home and install myself at the workbench  :D.

I think I'm about ready for a lick of paint. The main hull/turret assembly is done far enough for primer at least. The Voyager PE set is pretty cool too, although some parts are in fact invisible to the naked eye and require an electron microscope to see!!

Check it out:

DSC_0320_zpse28fd713.jpg

DSC_0324_zpsde4f6aa3.jpg

DSC_0322_zps5e9d1b1f.jpg

DSC_0321_zps16f96e1b.jpg

DSC_0323_zps8e3796e9.jpg

I did think about enhancing some of the weld seams a little as they are a bit flat, but decided against it as there was a good chance of screwing it up....I wasn't sure how to do it.

Ok, time to throw some paint around. Cheers people.

Chris.

Cheers Guys,

I've been pondering the question of colour. I have the AK Interactive DAK colour set, and some Vallejo and Tamiya ones. I've sprayed up some test swatches but I'm still undecided!

AK states that their RAL 7008 Option 2 is specially mixed for the Afrika Tigers, being slightly green in colour. What do you Tankies think?

DSC_0325_zpsf21531a3.jpg

Hi Guys,

I've been busy getting the base coat sprayed up using the AK Interactive RAL 7008 'Option 2' colour. Also tried to modulate it a little by lightening the colour and going over the high areas. This doesn't show up that well on the pics, but it looks OK in the flesh I think. Got the decals on too, not too bad. They looked a little thick but went down OK.

Just about to give it a satin coat ready for wash.

DSC_0328_zpsce6b60f5.jpg

DSC_0386_zps7cc27746.jpg

DSC_0384_zps02664540.jpg

DSC_0385_zpsbb1c45a1.jpg

DSC_0387_zps84dff8dc.jpg

Colour + Afrika Tiger = OMG!!!

Perhaps the ultimate nerdy Grail question for modellers across the board?

I can think of no other topic that has generated so much debate with so much evidence on both sides and so little in the way of a definitive conclusion.

And that's before you get started on whether the inside of the numbers were hull colour or some other fill colour!!

Am sure it will look convincing whichever path you chose...

Nick

Nick, colour indeed!

I've done a lot of reading and looking at various sources, and there are quite a few mixed opinions. In all the looking around that I did, I failed to see even 1 true colour pic of one of these tanks, only peoples personal views. In-fill of the numbers? Red? Pea Green? Who knows! I left it as it was.

In the end, I decided to trust AK Interactive as I could not get a definitive answer of my own, and I actually wanted to paint the thing!!!

In my eye, it looks OK, and ultimately that's all that counts. It's not as 'green' in real life as it shows in the pics. The camera has accentuated the green quite a lot.

And thanks everyone for the comments!

Chris. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've been making slow progress on this, and It's turned out to be a bit of a technique learning exercise! I think I've tried everything, however some of the weathering may be a little heavy, and I may have gone over the top in some areas (mud?)!

Anyway, I never stop learning, let me know what you think (be honest!)

CSC_0006_zps18310018.jpg

DSC_0002_zps9ceb8dc0.jpg

CSC_0007_zps6067d2aa.jpg

DSC_0005_zps33cbbf6e.jpg

TURRET_zpsa74d5af0.jpg

At the moment I'm making progress with the wheels and metal tracks. More updates soon!!

Cheers Guys,

Chris.

• Like 1

Just to throw my two cents in here :D  ,you're right in painting the Tiggy the way you want . In my eye ,there is no such thing as a 'Perfect' colour , Things like Batch mixes ,weather conditions ,lighting , fade ,shadows , camera lenses ...etc ...etc  all play a big part in how we percieve colours , So to me if it looks right ...then it is right ,and your Tiggy looks 100 % right :)  Great job on the paint ,and the weathering is looking tops .

:151_41_44_712.09472830013627761

Chris.