Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

New Model Manufacturer

harrison90

Hello my fellow modellers.

My name is Harrison and my father is Chris. We have both been heavily involved in modelling for many years now, even going back to my grandfather who built scale model, working steam trains and even a real Pitts Special in his house.

My father and I have recently been thinking of getting into our own business and have thought why not get into the model making business?  We plan to utilise 3D printing and scan the real, full scale aircraft and break it down into its individual pieces  on the computer and print the sprus for all of you to enjoy.

This is as of right now, in the very, very early stages and we have yet to even have any of the equipment or even a name and are just looking into the logistics, and the interest we could generate.  

We are hoping to be more in-depth with the modelling community by filling the needs of the many and the few. The plan is to be able to take suggestions from the modelling community and create. As fellow modellers, my father and I have found it difficult at times to find any kits of certain aircraft in certain scales. I hope to make LSP and its forums a place of research and influence to receive your suggestions and create some really great models.....

...if we could generate enough interest .  I pose the question to all of you - what would you like to build? A 1/32 Do 335, an XP-55, a Westland Whirlwind? You name it and if enough people show interest your wish could be our command.

I hope to have this become a reality and am looking forward to working with all of you!

Cheers and best regards.

Here is a link to this topic on Large Scale Planes: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45700

• Like 2

Welcome

I am sure this will generate a lot of interest

An indication of the medium used and the type of kit it would equate to ie injection mould, short run, resin or vacform would be a pre-requisite for me

I have seen 3D printed detail parts for 1/35 armour and was very impressed but would need to know (and see) a lot more before I would contemplate a full 3D printed kit...

I would imagine that many are using 3D printing for what it is best suited to - i.e. rapid prototyping and master creation. I'm sure Aires, Eduard and Barracuda all use this technology to create the masters for some of the resin parts we see.

Matt

A interesting Idea indeed!

Instead of leaping into the deep straight away.. how about creating some update/conversions sets to start off with?

... perhaps something like a scaled down DB601 engine so that you can close up the cowl on an Eduard Bf 109??

I'd always be interested in anything that's new, unique and of quality for retailing though my shop.  

I agree with the above re conversion sets but if you do decide to go down the route of full kits then I reckon the Whirlwind is a serious goer. However, there's one German bomber missing from the 1/32nd crowd, the Dornier Do-17 and, with the one being salvaged off the coast of Kent, interest within the aviation community is rising.

Whatever you decide, I really wish you luck with your enterprise and if there's anything Arrow Wolf can do to help then please, by all means, let me know.

... However, there's one German bomber missing from the 1/32nd crowd, the Dornier Do-17 and, with the one being salvaged off the coast of Kent, interest within the aviation community is rising ...

... :wub: ... I DO seem to remember mentioning this in some other form somewhere?!?! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, quick update for all of you. We have hit a few roadblocks with the 3D printing and the fact that I have become recently unemployed so, we have decided to not go with a 100% 3D printed models. We do still want to put out some products but they will be the more classic resin casts and what not.

We plan to still utilize 3D printing for making our masters and then creating our molds off of it. My father hopes to bring some large scale figures and I hope to eventually do a full aircraft kit but plan to start with accessories for aircraft. 

I hope this hasn't put too much of a downer on this subject for you guys.

Thanks for the encouragement and help!

Cheers!

and hope to have good news for you all in the near future.

Hi Harrison!

Well, since you mentioned it...an injection molded Dornier 335 in 1/32 would certainly force me to pull out my checkbook! I also second the motion for a DO-17.

Good luck and I hope you and your dad make this a reality!

Regards,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody. I'm sure we have all seen the news about HK Models 1/32 Do335. That has brought me massive pleasure knowing we will all finally have one in the proper scale. wink.png  

However there may be some progress on the horizon for me and my father. I myself may have a solid job that pays more than comfortably well. This means that we can finally start to make some progress with some newly achieved cash flow.  

Now we may not start with the most popular or the biggest thing, but we will keep you all on the in.

Thanks again for the support. This project will, eventually, turn out some sort of product for all of you. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

best of luck

if you ever wonder exactly what to do, feel free to canvas on here

my suggestion for accessories would be:

- focus on a popular and easy to get kits; kit can be expensive or cheap - I don't think that matters: accessories for the Tamiya kits seem just as sought after as for say revell ones

- make sure the quality is tip top; there is still a lot of mediocrity out there!

- make sure you have a decent website where people can order in a few clicks and pay with paypal pretty much instantly (do not underestimate the power of impulse buying online)

- make sure your pictures are good! (compare say Barracuda Studios vs MDC...)

if you need more specific advice from someone who has reviewed a lot of stuff (both good and bad), and knows most of the aftermarket guys' websites and product lines, feel free to PM me

Nick

best of luck

if you ever wonder exactly what to do, feel free to canvas on here

my suggestion for accessories would be:

- focus on a popular and easy to get kits; kit can be expensive or cheap - I don't think that matters: accessories for the Tamiya kits seem just as sought after as for say revell ones

- make sure the quality is tip top; there is still a lot of mediocrity out there!

- make sure you have a decent website where people can order in a few clicks and pay with paypal pretty much instantly (do not underestimate the power of impulse buying online)

- make sure your pictures are good! (compare say Barracuda Studios vs MDC...)

if you need more specific advice from someone who has reviewed a lot of stuff (both good and bad), and knows most of the aftermarket guys' websites and product lines, feel free to PM me

Nick

A range for the Hobbyboss spit would be a good start, needs accurate spinners and propellers (Rotol, DeHavilland) if you can do clear plastic the Windscreen is totally wrong both armoured and Un Armoured, and a good Seafire or Spitfire Vc wing would open up the options.

Or how about a Spitfire PRXI conversion for the Tamiya Spit? That would be a simple conversion.

Totally agree about the pictures. People want to see what they are getting.