The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Track links ...

Artful69

Hi all ...

I love my 1/35 panzers - in fact any (German WWII) Figurines, AFVs, Artillery etc besides

I also love Dragon versions of these kits (and some Tamiya I don't mind) ...

The main thing I like ... is Magic Tracks ... as opposed to the 'rubber band' variety. I get the right amount of 'track sag' and everything looks just that little bit more realistic.

I have a few kits with rubber bands ... more importantly ... a few Dragon kits with the annoying things!!! ... I wish to replace them with Magic tracks (or similar) I DON"T want metal tracks (like the Fruilmodel ones) ... just plain old, reasonably cheap-ish placcy ones ...

Can anyone help with manufacturers on the market atm??

Rog :)

Thanks Nick and Doogs ...

Yes ... I've picked up a couple of Dragon kits recently with "DS Tracks" ... although I have to admit that, as yet, I haven't actually built them or tried them out - I am still skeptical.

As for the vehicles ... all are German WWII but vary ... 8 ton half tracks, 251's, 250's, Pz.II 'Luchs' (is probably one of the more unusual ones) ... To be honest, I haven't actually gone through my stash yet ... that will be something happening over the next few days though (for PE and brass/alu barrel upgrades as well) ...

I will check AFV out ... and Bronco ... I was kinda hoping there would be one "go to" brand for the lot.

Rog

I was on train before hence brevity of reply!

Anyway, you will want to check out PMMS - from memory Terry has done some of usually high standard, in depth reviews of tracks for 251s and the like...

MK are also renowned for falling apart just for looking at them the wrong way

excellent in detail, yes, but I would suggest not for anyone uncomfortable with indie links, or a small budget

Fruils have got a lot better in recent years, even though i am not their biggest fan, but, if you have the budget....

THE best tracks i have seen up close and personal are those by Masterclub of Russia

they make a fairly decent sized range of injection mould, indie link tracks

I reviewed a few of their T-34 tracks:

http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-military-vehicle/135-scale/aftermarket-items/1171-135-t-3476-stz-550mm-early-type-tracks-by-masterclub

difference here is that the track pins are all perfectly moulded - and therefore correct - and separate, and no drilling out holes bs like you get with Fruils

they also have a fledgling range, but in metal - these are mega pricey and I would suggest probably not great value vs their plastic sets...

biggest problem they have is distribution - they are tough to find with a mediocre website; i order direct from Russia - bit quirky, but no problems ultimately

hth

• Like 1

Fruil tracks are almost as expensive as a whole damn Dragon model out here in Australia. Model Kasten are actually a cheaper option, or AFV Club. A friend of mine in my model club a week or so ago gave me a sensational tip for working with rubber track. He glues a piece of wire to the inside top ot the track, then bends the track over the wheels to get the proper sag. The wire keeps it in place.

• Like 1

Nick ...

appologies in advance for the multiquote ... It is the quickest way to reply here ... and the easiest to keep track of, without scrolling up and down the screen continually ...

... you will want to check out PMMS - from memory Terry has done some of usually high standard, in depth reviews of tracks for 251s and the like...

Thanks Nick ... Who are PMMS ??????

Also, there's Dragon themselves. I know they sell certain Magic Tracks...so if your kit has DS and you want the magics, you may be able to score them separately ...

For me, this might be the best option!!! ... who would I contact? - A Dragon distibutor??

Just curious, why no metal tracks? I absolutely love them...

A/ expensive ... B/ no need as magic tracks look just a healthy once painted/weathered and ... C/ REALLY freaking expensive!! $30 AUD minimum + postage (non of the locals would sell something like that under $50, if they could be bothered getting it in stock) x about 150-170 kits (minus about 50 WITH Magic Tracks) = $3000 - $3600 ... sorry Doogs :)

THE best tracks i have seen up close and personal are those by Masterclub of Russia

http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-military-vehicle/135-scale/aftermarket-items/1171-135-t-3476-stz-550mm-early-type-tracks-by-masterclub

biggest problem they have is distribution - they are tough to find with a mediocre website; i order direct from Russia - bit quirky, but no problems ultimately

The E-Bay site looks fine and if you've had no issues ... I can roll with this when other options fail - Thanks Nick!!

Fruil tracks are almost as expensive as a whole damn Dragon model out here in Australia. Model Kasten are actually a cheaper option, or AFV Club. A friend of mine in my model club a week or so ago gave me a sensational tip for working with rubber track. He glues a piece of wire to the inside top ot the track, then bends the track over the wheels to get the proper sag. The wire keeps it in place.

Now THAT sounds like a decent Idea!! I might give it a whirl before before I start ordering ... it's mainly the Tamiya 'rubber bands' that tick me off ... Agree with the "Fruil-ing expensive" assessment!!

Thanks Brad :)

Thanks all :D

Rog

:)

ok, Google really IS your friend (unless I suppose you used to work for Lycos or some other extinct search engine, but I digress)

PMMS is a one man band run by Terry Ashley

as much as i think some of my armour reviews are pretty good, TA is the benchmark against which I and all other armour reviewers should be measured against

he is also THE fastest on the planet for AFV model news

i have these on perma bookmark

news

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews.html

new reviews

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/whatsnew.htm

by manufacturer (probably the weakest of the sections, but still pretty good)

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/revafv.htm

and by vehicle type

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/subject.htm

knock yourself out!

• Like 1

... ok, Google really IS your friend

PMMS is a one man band run by Terry Ashley

knock yourself out! ...

Thanks Nick :D

Headslap to self!! ... Duh! Perth Millitary Modeling (@ILIVEheredammit_Ishouldknowthis.com)

I'll hammer their site some ... after I recover from concussion ;)

I didn't get a good pic of what Robert did, but you can see how the sag on the track looks pretty good with the wire holding it. I think these were the Tamiya kits too.

P1010012_zps0366e0c6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rog

I hope you didn't think me a pedant when I wrote that... But the simple matter is that Google is such an efficient search system now that a few choice words will find you almost anything you want...

The Masterclub of Russia track links look very nice....

Matt

• Like 1

Rog

I hope you didn't think me a pedant when I wrote that... But the simple matter is that Google is such an efficient search system now that a few choice words will find you almost anything you want...

The Masterclub of Russia track links look very nice....

Matt

No, no, no Matt ... honestly!!

I appreciate any help in the offing (and pointers)!! ... Look ... I use Google all the time ...

Here's the thing though ... there have been times when I have completely overlooked certain sites or pages brought up on Google, simply because they look a bit dodgey ... I guess thats why I've never been scammed. However, some people have actually had experience with a particular site and can rate the owner highly! (as with my search for Heinz Bar decals recently or Nicks' experience with Masterclub) ... In the end someone elses' eyes might see something I don't, also.

I do try not to annoy people unnecessarily ... but if I can't find what I'm after on Google within half an hour I generaly ask those who might already be in the know - a handy resource! ... as I work full time - research time is at a minimum.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...