The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Heinkel He111 Exhausts – assorted versions

nmayhew

1/32 Heinkel He111 Exhausts – assorted versions

CMK
For Revell He111 P & H kits
€7 per set from CMK Shop

cover.jpg

I reviewed the generally pretty good Revell He111 H-6 kit earlier this year here, and in the review touched upon the differences between the P and H variants, including changes in the types of exhaust used. Unsurprisingly, although you can see the exhausts changing as you progress through the production run, a number of exhaust types overlap different variants.

08-IMG_7814.jpg

The main difference between the P and early members of the H series was the power plant: the DB601 of the P being substituted for the Jumo 211 series (Daimler Benz's engine being prioritised for use in the Messerschmitt Bf109). The P and H look very similar, but can be distinguished by different engine cowlings: the P has the supercharger intake on the port side of each engine nacelle, whereas the H has it to starboard. There are of course other differences and things to look out for.

04-IMG_7810.jpg

The exhausts in the P-1 kit

05-IMG_7811.jpg

06-IMG_7812.jpg
The kit exhausts in the H-6 kit

07-IMG_7813.jpg

The H-1 and H-2 used the Jumo 211A, the H-3, -4 and -5 the 211D, and the H-6 to H-20 variants used the Jumo 211F. Early Hs are seen with slightly different engine nacelles: the oil cooler intake on top of the nacelle is much slimmer, resulting in a smoother appearance; the supercharger intake lacks the tubular cowling that runs the most of the length of the nacelle. I had thought this feature was limited to H-1s and -2s, but at least one RAF Intelligence Report on a crashed He111 lists a H-3 with these early engine cowls and being powered by the Jumo 211D. The lack of a definitive reference on the 111 means this is just one of a number questions that seems to have no conclusive answer. The second Revell kit is a H-6, and as such has the correct later style cowlings with deeper oil cooler, and extended supercharger intake.

01-pipe_H1.jpg
Pipe exhaust on early H model – note shortened supercharger intake and rather flat area over oil cooler

02-fishtail.jpg

Fishtail exhausts – seen here on a P variant, but also common on the H as well

03-fins.jpg
The more complicated variant with 'fins'

I have identified four main types of exhausts used on the P and early to mid Hs. Early Ps have separate but rounded exhaust tubes, as supplied in the P-1 kit. Secondly, there are for want of a better description 'fishtail' exhausts with flame dampeners which can be seen on both Ps and Hs, up to and including the H-6, and it is these which are included in the kit. The real things are quite complicated affairs, so I am not surprised that Revell's depiction is rather crude. From the references and pictures I have looked at, this type seems particularly common, and can be seen on both Ps and Hs, from pre Battle of Britain, through to North Africa and the war on the Eastern Front. The third type is much simpler, and consists of a single tube; there appear to have been variations of these. The fourth type you will see looks from a distance (or in a low resolution WWII pic) similar to the fish tail type. On closer inspection, each exhaust outlet has a number of cooling fins. To date I have only seen these on H-6s, and not on earlier variants.

Q32-163 He111 H-1

09-IMG_7815.jpg

10-IMG_7816.jpg

11-IMG_7817.jpg

The first set here is Q32-163, labelled as for the H-1 variant. It comprises four exhausts, plus two cowling side panels, and a shortened supercharger intake, as seen in early (H-1 to H-3) models. The exhausts look good, and are hollowed out approx 3-4mm; you could always hollow them out more if you wish.

12-IMG_7819.jpg

13-IMG_7820.jpg

14-IMG_7823.jpg

The instructions are pretty clear – this is the only set that really requires instructions in my view. I did a quick test fit and the cowling replacement panels seem a pretty good fit with the kit parts. The main issue with this set is that for a true H-1 to H-3, you will need a flattened oil cooler intake, and this is only available in the more comprehensive set from CMK, Q32-5073 (I have not seen this set, so cannot verify its accuracy).

Q32-165 He111 H-4 to H-8

15-IMG_7824.jpg

16-IMG_7825.jpg

19-IMG_7828.jpg

The set is labelled H4-8, but in reality this type of exhaust were also seen on P variants. CMK have got these ones pretty much dead on in my opinion – they look very much like the real thing, and should just slot in to which ever kit you have.

17-IMG_7826.jpg

18-IMG_7827.jpg

Q32-166 He111 H-10 to H-16

20-IMG_7829.jpg

21-IMG_7831.jpg

24-IMG_7835.jpg

The labelling here is misleading: these exhausts with the cooling fins are clearly seen on H-6 variants- although I have not seen them on anything earlier – in addition to later models. I have not yet verified exactly how far along in the production run they went.

22-IMG_7832.jpg

23-IMG_7834.jpg

These are probably the hardest ones to replicate accurately, because of the cooling fins. Revell failed miserably, and although the CMK set is quite a bit better – from a distance they look convincing enough, especially front or side-on – I am not sure they have got the shape correct. When viewed from the rear, the CMK sets are solid, whereas there should be a separate 'hole' for exhaust stub. Instead, CMK have merely cut grooves for the fins into what is otherwise a solid stub.

Q32-167 He111 H-16 to H-23

25-IMG_7836.jpg

26-IMG_7837.jpg

29-IMG_7840.jpg

I have not yet researched the later variants in the same depth as the P or H-1 to H-6, so once again I cannot comment on whether these were seen on variants outside the range given in the title. The shape and size do look a good match when compared to photographs, however. This was the only set where there were any quality control issues – one of the long exhaust cones was not cast all the way through, and had a small hole in it. Fixable, but a bit annoying.

27-IMG_7838.jpg

28-IMG_7839.jpg

Conclusion

On the whole, these sets are clearly a vast improvement on the kit offerings, and really open up the number of variants or specific airframes you can make. You will need to consult your references though, and I would not consider using one of these sets just on the basis of how they are labelled. The only set which was nothing more than mediocre was 32-166: I can see how those cooling fins were just too challenging to do anything more ambitious with, but I still think they have made errors in shape when viewed from the rear.

Recommended

With thanks to CMK for the review samples. To purchase directly, click THIS link.

Nicholas Mayhew

• Like 1