The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

My second entry for the group build an FW190C.  Using Planet Models conversion and Hasegawa's  FW190D as donor kit.  Since the 190D wings, pit, stabilizers and undercarriage are same as their A8 this will work.

I will use the 190D tail for another conversion on deck.

FW190C_PlanetModels_BoxArt.jpg

FW190C.jpg

Parts washed and will start this week along with my other A8.

FW190C_ConversionParts.jpg

Planet's conversion parts.

FW190C_190D_NativeParts.jpg

Hasegawa's FW190D will be used as donor.

• Like 3

Rick

Check that you have the correct under wing inserts for this a/c in the D-9... I have a sneaking suspicion this machine had the early bulged panels that accommodated the MG FF 20mm cannon magazine of the FW 190 A5/6 (and some earlier marks).

The box says for the A-8 or A-5 kit, so it is possible that the machine was configured both with and without that panel. All armament was removed anyway.

Actually, if you look on the box lid, Planet show no bulge, just a plain panel. In the instructions, you see a FW 190 A-8 panel  with a small bulge and if you look at the lower drawing of the camo and markings it has the very different MG FF bulge... Planet.... covered all their bases.. :).

I can dig something out for you if you want to know which panel you need.... Someone may even have spares....

Matt

Rick

Check that you have the correct under wing inserts for this a/c in the D-9... I have a sneaking suspicion this machine had the early bulged panels that accommodated the MG FF 20mm cannon magazine of the FW 190 A5/6 (and some earlier marks).

The box says for the A-8 or A-5 kit, so it is possible that the machine was configured both with and without that panel. All armament was removed anyway.

Actually, if you look on the box lid, Planet show no bulge, just a plain panel. In the instructions, you see a FW 190 A-8 panel  with a small bulge and if you look at the lower drawing of the camo and markings it has the very different MG FF bulge... Planet.... covered all their bases.. :).

I can dig something out for you if you want to know which panel you need.... Someone may even have spares....

Matt

Thanks for the tip Matt.  Any help much appreciated.

I have FW190 Vol 1/Smith and there is a nice 3 page spread with some great photos of the 190C.  Did not notice the bulges on the wings and will take a closer look.  After first look the apparent gun ports on the cowl (Planet box art) and absence of gun ports on ref photos has created some angst.  More angst regarding the wheel wells.  190D9 WW much different than the 190A8. 

Also the book states the 190C was natural metal overall and my eyes just do not believe the pics.

Hi Rick.

As I will build the same plane for this GB, I will use an Hasegawa A-5 kit as the donor.

I have the same book that you have and looking at the pictures, I'm not sure if the plane has paint on it (especially when you look at the closer pictures...)

As the pictures in the book are "factory" pictures, they could have been made when the plane came out of the factory.

I don't have "in flight" pictures.

Could be interesting to share our info and share the builds?

Cheers,

Jamme

• Like 1

Hi Rick.

As I will build the same plane for this GB, I will use an Hasegawa A-5 kit as the donor.

I have the same book that you have and looking at the pictures, I'm not sure if the plane has paint on it (especially when you look at the closer pictures...)

As the pictures in the book are "factory" pictures, they could have been made when the plane came out of the factory.

I don't have "in flight" pictures.

Could be interesting to share our info and share the builds?

Cheers,

Jamme

I'm all for collaboration on this build Jamme. 

I like the opportunity for NMF, think fun with Alclad.  Thats a very dark metal, especially from cockpit to tailplane.  However, RLM 02 would yield an interesting look and contrast with NMF.  I have an A5 and will be using that kit for the 190 A-5/U14.  This plane has no outboard wings guns so I will swap the underwing panels (bulges) with the 190D.  So my !90C outboard underwing bulges are solved as well as 190 A-5/U14 outboard underwing "smooth".

I see much creative license in this.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cleaning flash, etc on fuselage then this happens...

190C_FuselageBreak01.jpg

Add colorful metaphor here  ___________!

190C_FuselageBreak02.jpg

Glued a piece of sheet styrene from inside with epoxy.

190C_FuselageBreak03.jpg

Matching up will be time consuming, not difficult.  Just PITA.

190C_FuselageBreak04.jpg

I have a plan.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a bugger there Rick...!

At least resin tends to break cleanly and fix back with near invisible join...

Matt

yes Matt.

It is a clean break and i am close to closing up the fuselage.  I have closed up the front half and will work on the real section in a few days after allowing the CA to cure.

• Like 1

Fuselage, Pit and other stuff.

Mending the fuselage started with the front end. 

FW190C_FuselageAssemble01.jpg

FW190C_FuselageAssemble02.jpg

Black primer applied and front glued.  Will hit the pit and tail wheel area with RLM 66 then secure the rear fuselage.

Tail wheel is EagleParts 52-32.  Strut is kinda squirrley to put together.  Looks nice and will benefit with RLM 02 and some highlights (wash).

FW190C_TailWheel01.jpg

FW190C_TailWheel02.jpg

Using kit pit and IP only after market will be HGW belts and some scratch built levers and knobs.  Just too many issues with fit so I chickened out with the PE upgrade.  The PE upgrade makes the pit flimsy.  Works well with the Hasegawa fuselage however this resin fuselage with no mounting points.  OOB pit is solid and very beefy and will add strength to the fuselage which I already snapped in half.  This resin is really brittle.

FW190C_Pit01.jpg

FW190C_Fuselage_Pit.jpg

After a long cure time with front end and RLM 66 paint.  I will finish pit then complete the fuselage.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Cranking on bench time between prep for TKR surgery scheduled for 12 Feb.

Speaking of surgery, a little cutting on lower wing to accommodate the turbo supercharger scoop.

LowerWingSurgery01.jpg

Shell ejector ports are plugged with scrap styrene.  This aircraft was a test bed for a turbo supercharger and high altitude/pressurized pit.  The FW190C-V18/U1 not armed so all gun ports and shell ejector ports were buttoned up.

LowerWingSurgery02copy.jpg

Photo-etch from the spares box fit nicely over the shell ejector ports.

Turbo Supercharger scoop is glued with medium CA using small styrene pieces to act as locator pins.

IntakeScoop01.jpg

An annoying truth with resin conversions/kits (at least the ones I have been working on) is no locator pins so its almost alignment by braille.

IntakeScoop02.jpg

Some cleaning and filling is certainly on the agenda.  A piece of resin chipped and will be repaired after mounting to lower fuselage.

IntakeScoop03.jpg

A little test fit.  From this point putty and fill should be minimal.

Pit complete with exception of the shoulder harness, stick and straps on pedals.  Pit is OOB using kit decals.  Scratch built some knobs and lever.  HGW used for belts.

Pit01.jpg

Hard to tell, after I gave the pit a matte varnish I hit each dial with a drop if Vallejo Still Water with good results.

Pit02.jpg

The engine from the Hasegawa 190D9 donor kit shown with some slight modifications to accommodate the location of the turbo supercharger.

Engine01.jpg

The "double hose" wrapped in wire will be fed into the turbo supercharger near the front of scoop.  This detail will be visible from the wheel well.

Engine02.jpg

Will give the engine some weathering before installation.

Planet Model's engine/cowling detail (right) is weak compared with the Hasegawa part (left).

Engine03.jpg

Engine04.jpg

My plan will be to surgically remove the Hasegawa firewall and mount the Planet Model firewall then use the Hasegawa engine/cowl/cowling flaps.  Am taking the FICE approach on this part.  BTW there will be several other FICE moments on this build. 

I often remind myself, "I control this build, this build is not controlling me."