The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Old Revell Ju 87

imatt88

Hey all,

I just picked this old relic up in a trade.

Revellstuka_zps5eadec85.jpg

I remember Jerry R puttin out an update set for this kit a while back, is it still around?

Also is there any new upgrades for this?

Haven't built this kit since I was a kid ^_^

Cheers,   Ian

• Members

I think Jerry R. discontinued a lot of his upgrade sets for older kits, he works with Grey Matter now and they've re-released some of his better projects but the old stuff is pretty much gone.  You can try emailing him though, he may have some odds and ends left.

No one's produced anything new for this in a long time.

Wow! I didn't know this kit ever existed!!

I got a couple of 21st Century toys 1/32 Ju87-B/R's (suprisingly they look half decent! - considering they were only $15 each!) - I thought they were the only ones available (pre - Trumpeter) ...

Now that Brian Fawcett has released his Correction set for the Trumpeter kit I'll give this one a tilt at some point.

I hope you score the bits that you're after!

Rog :)

Rog,

Yeah, I picked up one of Brian's correction sets.  I'm happy with it. :)

I built this Revell kit when I was just a kid (mid '70s).  I only did it once, and it was a war crime.... :lol:

I always wanted to do another one, and I was hoping this time to do it justice...

Right now, Jerry isn't accepting any inbound mail, so I'll just have to hold off until I can contact him....

Cheers,   Ian

• Like 1

Rog,

Yeah, I picked up one of Brian's correction sets.  I'm happy with it. :)

I built this Revell kit when I was just a kid (mid '70s).  I only did it once, and it was a war crime.... :lol:

I always wanted to do another one, and I was hoping this time to do it justice...

Right now, Jerry isn't accepting any inbound mail, so I'll just have to hold off until I can contact him....

Cheers,   Ian

Oh cool - thanks for the 1st hand impression of the 'Fawcett' correction!! ... I have my eye on the Trumpeter Ju-87B now that this is available! ;) ;)

Well ... I hope you can work some magic with that old Revell kit - a braver man than me, you are!

You might be able to post a PM to Jerry through LSP forums?

Btw if you want a 'first hand impression' of the Fawcett set, my review is both here and on SPR...

Nick ... already read it! (very good as per usual!)... The more the merrier as they say! ...

I must say though that my opinions were a little mixed after reading - accuracy is greatly improved in outline ... but I have never used a riveting tool!!

Hey all,

Jerry PM'd me back over on LSP, and he no longer has any of the old resin updates sets for the JU 87. :(   Bummer!

Anyway, maybe I can score some Hasegawa parts ^_^

Cheers,   Ian

Well ... I'm sure you'll find some AM gear around online ... I haven't looked, but e-bay, Eduard, Alley Cat and MDC would be a decent starting point?!?

Rog,

I've seen some AM stuff around for the Hasegawa and Trump series of Ju 87s. 

I believe Eduard put out a set of photo etch stuff a while back for the Revell kit.

I'm thinking I can kitbash some interior stuff just to make the cockpit a little more convincing ^_^

Cheers,     Ian

• Like 1

My impression was that, along with many of this generation of Revell kits, outline is good and accurate (possibly the best out of all the Ju 87Bs around.  Raised details - the rivets are again pretty accurate for a Ju87B, maybe a light sanding to soften them but this aircraft was covered in rivets.

I have been after a junker of this kit to cut the nose off of and graft it, along with the undercarriage spats and some other bits and bobs onto a Hasegawa Ju87D...

Matt

My impression was that, along with many of this generation of Revell kits, outline is good and accurate (possibly the best out of all the Ju 87Bs around.  Raised details - the rivets are again pretty accurate for a Ju87B, maybe a light sanding to soften them but this aircraft was covered in rivets.

I have been after a junker of this kit to cut the nose off of and graft it, along with the undercarriage spats and some other bits and bobs onto a Hasegawa Ju87D...

Matt

Actually the entire kit is underscale, more like 1/35 than 1/32.  I almost think that some manufacturers, like the 21C and Trumpy kit had the same idea about using the Hasegwawa D/G and putting the Revell nose on, which would explain why the nose on those two kits is undersized :)

Doug

Matt

Before I bought my two 21st Century kits, I had a look around for kit reviews online (as usual) ...

I found that, overall, the new kit was rated better (which is why I bought a couple) ... If you can't score the Revell kit anywhere ... you might be able to score one of these somewhere for cheap like I did - I only forked out about $15 AUD for each at the time.

Thanks Rog

I have a couple of those as well... I was under the misapprehension that the Revell kit was more accurate than 21st C..

I think easiest (read cheapest) option will be to take 21st C and cut it up to make it larger and sand it all to make a nice, accurate, 1/32 Ju 87B nose....

Matt

The 21C hit has the same small nose problem the Trumpter kit has.  It does have a better shaped radiator area, but still too small.  The Revell nose is also small, but has a better shape for the most part, in that you could add a few mm on to the back and it would be a good start.

Regarding spats, the 21C kit spats are not bad, but they have some cut out slots behind the wheels - which may have been some kind of a field mod for muddy airfields.  I would close them up.  The Revell spats also have a good shape, and you could probably just cut the bottom off the Revell spats and stick them on the Trump "legs" and it would look ok.

Next week I might have some time to do some photo comparison shots to illustrate all this ;)

Doug

• Like 1

... The 21C hit has the same small nose problem the Trumpter kit has ....

... Next week I might have some time to do some photo comparison shots to illustrate all this ;) ...

Doug ...

Well that is interesting! ... the reviews on the 21C kit didn't mention that bit ... although it is meant to be a B1 ... not a B2 if that helps? ...

If you are looking to compare all the kits at some point with photos - I, for one, would appreciate that very much!!! :D

appart from the Trumpeter kit (with resin correction) ... I still rate the 21C kit better than the others on offer (personally) atm.

Rog,

Yes, I agree, this IS good stuff!   I have the Trump kit and now the Revell kit, and I've never compared the two...

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the Trump/Hasegawa/Revell/21st C Stukas, I bet it would be an eye opener ^_^

Cheers,   Ian

• Like 1

Rog,

Yes, I agree, this IS good stuff!   I have the Trump kit and now the Revell kit, and I've never compared the two...

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the Trump/Hasegawa/Revell/21st C Stukas, I bet it would be an eye opener ^_^

Cheers,   Ian

Well ... I have only got 2 of the 21st C type (B1's) ... a Revell 'D' and a Hase 'G' ... So unfortunately I cannot complete any sort of comparison, myself.

I am now considering the Trumpeter 'B2' - but only because I can get the 'Fawcett' update.

Interesting to see how it turns out!