The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Me 163, He 162, Me 262 (Schemes and Decals), Kagero Topcolors

JeroenPeters

• Administrators

Last Hope of the Luftwaffe

Me 163, He 162, Me 262

(Painting Schemes and Decals)

Jacek Pasieczny, Simon Schatz, Arkadiusz Wróbel
Kagero Books (Topcolors series #37 / 15037)
Available from
Kagero for €12,50

163_zps5a0abda9.jpeg

Lets take a look at one of the latest releases of Kagero books featuring profiles and decals for three Last Hope weapons of the Luftwaffe. This book marks the 37th release in their amazing Topcolors series. For only €12,50 you not only get the book with profiles, but also a quality sheet of decals to build them. Not only in our glorious 1/32 scale, but also in 1/48 and 1/72. Earlier volumes in these series feature both armour and planes. Sometimes linked by topic, like Panzerwaffe 1941-1943 or Fighters over Japan. Sometimes by particular subject, like the P-38 Lightning or Pz.Kpfw III. What amazes me is the €12,50 is a fair price for a sheet of Cartograf decals. Right? But with these series you get the book as a nice bonus. Or you get the decals as a bonus with the book. Depends on how you look at it. 

In this case we get 10 beautiful color profiles of the Me 163 (Super Timing!!), He 162 and the Me 262. The book is size A4 and counts 18 pages. The language is featured in both Polish and English. 

The first 3 profiles feature:

<< Needless to say, but the next three profiles could not have come on a better time. The new Meng kit will be a perfect platform to try one out on. Click here to read James Hatch' review. >>

163A_zpsa904e2b1.jpg

• Me 163 B V53; W.Nr. 16310062, 'White 9'. Flown by Uffz. Kurt Schiebeler of 1./JG 400, Brandis Germany, Early August 1944.

This plane really did see a lot of action and held a score of downing 6 bombers at the end of the war.

• Me 163 B; 'White 10'. Flown by Lt. Hans-Ludwig Löscher of 1./JG 400, Brandis, Germany, Late February 1945.

This plane has some mystery clouding it's Werknummer, so a good subject to sink you teeth in. What strikes is the interesting presence of a DF loop antenna on the spine.

• Me 163 B V52; W.Nr. 16310061, 'Yellow 1', flown by Lt. Reinhard Opitz, Kapitän of 7./JG400, Nordholz, Germany, April 1945.

If you can't decide between normal camo and mottling, then this is the profile for you! 

163C_zpsc2bad142.jpg

• Heinkel He 162 A-1; W.Nr. 310003, 'Yellow 5' of 3./JG 1, Leck, Germany, May 1945.

This plane has three nice small badges on the left side of the fuselage, of: 1./JG 1, 3./JG  and JG 1. 

• Heinkel He 162 A-2; W.Nr. 120067, 'White 4' of 1./JG 1, Leck, Germany, May 1945.

The wingtips show the thin green flowery lines. Difficult to get right with free hand airbrushing, but an interesting feature.

• Heinkel He 162 A-2; W.Nr. 120028, 'White 3' of 1./JG 1, Leck, Germany, May 1945.

An early production aircraft with lots of RLM 76 on the fuselage. A nice break from the more seen later schemes.

• Heinkel He 162 A-2; W.Nr. 120231, 'White 6' of 1./JG 1, Leck, Germany, May 1945.

Yes! This is my favorite. Not just because I dove into this scheme quite deep and used it for my own build, but mainly because of the un-painted fuselage and filler lines. The are quite a lot of different interpretations of this plane, but I do believe this profile knocks it out of the park. 

163D_zpsd130bb8c.jpg

• Messerschmitt Me 262 A-2a, W.Nr. 110613, '9K+DK', 

flown by Ofw. Hermann Wieczorek of 2./KG 51, Rheine-Hopsten, Germany, 25th February 1945.

You better set your airbrush to 'fine' for this snaky mottling. Very interesting scheme. Especially with the white outlined swastika on the tail, which is not common for this production batch.

• Messerschmitt Me 262 A-1a, 'Yellow 2' of 3./KG(J) 54, Prague-Ruzyně, Czechoslovakia, May 1945.

Very interesting scheme with a blue/white checkered band on the fuselage and thin RLM 81/82 lines between the camp patches. A small unit badge with a Totenkopf tops it all of.

And last but certainly not least:

• Messerschmitt Me 262 A-1a, 'White 34' of III./EJG 2, Brunnthal, Germany, May 1945.

The next 262 I'll build will most definitely be in this scheme. Unpainted wings. Filler over panel lines. Natural metal. Primes. A nose donated from a different plane, as well as the left wing tip. This has Frankenstein written all over it. I'm sold.

Every profile has a short description of the plane and it's most noticeable features.

The decals themselves are printed the way we can expect from Cartograf. Perfect in register and true of color.

163B_zpsc5e2f2d3.jpg

163E_zpsf4e46518.jpg

Conclusion
Basically the most comprehensive set of decals to be found. And with the new Meng Me 163 this set could not have come at a better time! 

Very highly recommended

Our sincere thanks to Kagero Publishing for the review sample. To purchase directly, click HERE.

Jeroen Peters

• Like 1

• Administrators

That's a great and interesting review, Jeroen.

Congrats,

Jamme

Thnx Jamme,

And there's more to come. Including two Topcolors books on the Fw190, one book on the Corsair and a special 3D book on the Ta154.

Cheers,

Jeroen

• Administrators

Thnx guys!

@ Jamme: Yes. You REALLY should see the Fokker DVII 3D book they have. Amazing detail and it clearifies anything you might question on the subject.

Just noticed that Kagero posted a pic of all the profiles, so I guess it's OK if I post it here. 

@ Matt: White 34 is on there too :) Yummy yummy.

5dhj.jpg

• Like 1