The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Air Modeller WnW Guide - Vol I

Fran

• Administrators

Some time I made a review of the WnW Guide form AFV Modeller, and as been post on facebook.

So I decided to post the review again in WnWFans in LSM, even knoing that`s an oop book.

"

Review of the book of the year to all WnW fans – The “Air Modeller`s Guide to Wingnut Wings – Volume I.”

Later this week I found at my door step a package (a very well protected one) of AFVModeller and I thought: YESSS!My precious! J!.

Next thing I noticed, I was on the couch in a non stop reading.

The first impression I had is that this is a really a true and honest enthusiast for WNW kits and that is a very good start to make an awesome book with marvelous models.

The book is high grade quality paper with a satin sheen finish and in the front page a lovely Goth and two fantastic figures.

AirModeller_zps6b0b2f7a.jpg

The book was 112 pages and 7 (yes seven) builts of WnW Kits for outstandings modellers.

All the text that envolved all the articles it`s a simple and a comprehensible one.

The book starts with the magnificent Hansa Brandenbrug by David Zamarbide Saurez, an WnW Fan of our page.

And what a start!! One of the most enthusiast model release from WnW, (the first to sold out) treated very weel on the hands of David, with a stunnig building, with beautifull pictures from all stages of construction with special incidence photos on cockpit assembly and wood painting, engine and wings.

David get hook in WnW with the Hansa that it`s was it first WnW  and what a start! J

Coacutepiadehansa_zps61fba7cc.jpg

The second in line is the SE5 RAF by Richard Camoin with awesome scheme.

The first Biplane in the book that Richard descrived in all 12 pages with simple text, explanations (and indication of waht aftermarktes used) and a beautifull scheme.

One important point on the build is the step by step painting and colours used by Richard to achieved an outstanding colour with all it`s ligths and shadows.

Also have a little guide how to apply RB flat rigging specially on the tail.

The rigging on the particular plane it`s quite important, however with a special article of rigging, was unecessary an extend article of the rigging of this plane because, by the end, the techniques are basically the same.

CoacutepiadeSE5_zpse4cbcfcd.jpg

The third in line is, one of my WNW favorites, Roland D.IVa by Emmanuel Pernes.

Emmanuel was a modeller like myself, with no big interest in WWI airplane until the apperance of WNW.

But he did quite a job on the Roland. Has the Hansa and the SE5, there is a lot of pictures of all stages of the construction with special look of the paiting wood with beautifull and easy techniques to paint the fuselage in natural and convincing wood.

One thing I quite enjoy on Emmanuel´s article is the subtle weathering on the Roland and the clear pictures to obtain that result.

The final result is a outstanding model from a great modeler… Unbelieve is the it was Emmanuel first biplane ever!! J

923eda30-c862-4b05-8e8c-90e565cf1f12_zps

The 4th article is the Re8 “Harry Tate” by Jose Maria Martinez Fernandez and let me tell you guys, as soon as I turn the page and look to José Maria Fernandez`s Harry Tate, I became static. What the hell is that??? an full open Re8 “Harry Tate”?? OMG… Phenomenal. Breath-taking. A truly masterpiece.

José Maria start by giving us the concept (idea and planning) and all the steps that he used to get the open Re8.

Following by lots of pictures of the cockpit, with all that wood and rigging…

José Maria makes a trully step-by-step picture in his article with the exception of the rigging. That`s quite understandable knowing the amount of rigging to be done in the Re8. However Everything is explain by text and some close-up pictures.

This Re8 is a masterwork.

Re8_zps3bc2098e.jpg

Then, a beautifull Albatros D.Va by our very own WNW fan, David Parker. Another Masterwork!!

The book is full of masterpices!!

Albatros is such a beautifull plane, with glorious lines and one of my favorites of all times.

David did a really nice Job on this one and the pictures shows the all cockpit (marvellous) and the painting sheme.

The next thing on David`s article is the plywood fuselage. Just love the wood that he achieved the wood grain effect so naturally… and with a hand paint… J

The striking sheme with a trick paint scheme applied to the front half of the fuselage and cowls add that awesome appearance to the completed model and all the steps are in pictures.

d93407d4-cdba-4b5d-862e-a5b3c22bf612_zps

The next build is the Spowith Pup by John Korellis, a modeler that has been converted to a WnW fan. J

The pup is a beautifull little plane and John just done a very well done model.

The article have very nice and usefull tips and awesome pictures in particullary on the cockpit and the awesome engine.

John also shows another method to achieved and capture wood and canvas appearence.

5802226c-ab29-4de4-8574-0e9e76472bee_zps

Turning the page, the last but not the least, the mighty Gotha G.IV by, once again, David Parker, the model of the cover.

The Gotha is my favorite WnW kit and the most easily recognisable of all the WNW kits to date.

The article is over 22 pages with deep explanation of cockpit build and colour in pictures and small but explicit text.

The colour scheme is a very striking one with no aftermarter decals available. So David simply painted with incredible lozenge pattern using homemade masks.… and what a work.

In all the article, David guides us (the readers and modelers) to everystep of the construction, tips and paiting.

A trully inspiration.

8f01b0b0-bc22-44c4-a995-5ecff3b13f3c_zps

Hints and Tips 'Rigging' and wood grain.

These two sections of hints adn tips are most welcome, but in fact, in the articles, the modelers used differents approachs on the rigging ando n the wood grain.

Even thought, these articles with hints and tips are a great help putting all tips and techniques in one single spot.

rig2_zps03920c89.jpg

wood_zpsaec571fb.jpg

Hints and Tips 'After Market Suppliers'

This section is a quite usefull and good one but no really new information is given to the serious WnW fans! J Anyway, it`s a logical finnish to this wonderfull book.

aftermarket_zps5f5b721f.jpg

Conclusion:

A most have to all WWI aviation modeller and of course, to all WnW fans. Also I do think that all aviation modellers will find a great interesse in this book, because I do believe that this book is an impressive book that should be in every modeller because has outstanding models with superb reference and inspiration.

It`s a awesome value for your money.

Do yourself a favor and buy one!!!

This is the Vol I… I `m eager to put my hands on Vol. II.

Very highly recommend.

My sincere thanks to AFV Publications and David Parker for this review sample and for the trust given."

And here it is to all at LSM.

Thanks

and Cheers!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe coming out with a bigger, don't know how, but better one?? Just a thought.

Could mean good things coming!

:151_41_44_712.06380630013627764

Well it is volume 1 ...

And as Dave mentioned, it is still available digitally, really every bit as good as the paper version imo and cheaper too.

I got my copy from Nordland Models and while the book is all that was said it is I'm just a tiny bit dissapointed. Not because of the information, techniques and build inside of it - they are perfectly fine. It is just because the book is lacking somehting very small to become really impressive. I can't quite formulate what exactly but the book doesn't "ooze" quality for some reason. Maybe just my expectations were too high.

Don't get me wrong - the book is excellent and it will serve as modeling techniques source of information and inspiration. It just lacks somehting ...

best regards,

Sasho

May we ask why?

Given the popularity of the subject that does seen rather strange.

The production run has stock out, I guess that its its not viable to do another run.. which I can totally understand that!

Maybe coming out with a bigger, don't know how, but better one?? Just a thought.

Could mean good things coming!

:151_41_44_712.06380630013627764

There is a volume 2 in works

I've not been fortunate enough to obtain this beautiful book so I've been searching the net for one and I found one! however I won't be spending my hard earned pension on it 'cos the asking price is £85.00!!! Profiteering or what!!??!!

Come on Air Modeller have another print run!

Steve S. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...