The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

You guys have drawn me in (lol)

olfogey

After looking at all the large scale plane builds around here, I feel myself being drawn inexorably toward wings (lol)

Would I be nuts to try this??

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/product.php?sn=/HAS00000031

I want to build a big bi-plane, but don't know which would be a good starting point(??) I have good modeling skills, just never built a

plane before..................need some advice & guidance.

Same thing here as in my armor builds, larger size is a MUST due to several factors.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

• Like 1

After looking at all the large scale plane builds around here, I feel myself being drawn inexorably toward wings (lol)

Would I be nuts to try this??

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/product.php?sn=/HAS00000031

I want to build a big bi-plane, but don't know which would be a good starting point(??) I have good modeling skills, just never built a

plane before..................need some advice & guidance.

Same thing here as in my armor builds, larger size is a MUST due to several factors.

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Well, whatever you build Jim, the 1/16th Camel or the huge 1/32nd Wingnut Wings Gotha you know you can call on advice and encouragement from everyone at LSM - there are enough builders here with plenty of experience and with a generous nature to help with whatever you need.

But, and you know this already, if your going to attempt a WW1 aircraft then the best tool in your box is patience :) beyond that, ask away.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've chosen and the build on here.

For a large scale biplane I'd start with a WnW Junkers J.1. It's the A-10 Warthog of it's day, large , well-detailed but easy as it has no rigging other than the control cables. Having the decals conform to the corrugated wing surface will be somewhat of a challenge, though..

Take a look at the build by our local Rezident; Jeroen P.:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43028&hl=%2Bjunkers+%2Bj.1

And the WIP:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=41702#entry420904

But on the other hand; if you really have an urge to start on the big Camel and the J.1 doesn't rock your boat, start the Camel. In my experience, a project started half-heartedly mostly doesn't get finished!

I wish you lots of wisdom! ;)

Erik.

• Like 1

For a large scale biplane I'd start with a WnW Junkers J.1. It's the A-10 Warthog of it's day, large , well-detailed but easy as it has no rigging other than the control cables. Having the decals conform to the corrugated wing surface will be somewhat of a challenge, though..

Take a look at the build by our local Rezident; Jeroen P.:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43028&hl=%2Bjunkers+%2Bj.1

And the WIP:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=41702#entry420904

But on the other hand; if you really have an urge to start on the big Camel and the J.1 doesn't rock your boat, start the Camel. In my experience, a project started half-heartedly mostly doesn't get finished!

I wish you lots of wisdom! ;)

Erik.

The "WnW Junkers J.1" sounds like an excellent idea :) Honestly, the rigging was one of the things that concerned me the most.

I looked through both threads that you linked to, and Jereons work is AMAZING!! That almost scared me off a bit, because I don't think I'm

capable of that level, but it sure looks like a neat build.

Now, a question? Are there any distributors in the U.S. ?? (Went to the "WnW" website and answered this for myself).

Thanks for the tips and advice...............Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Edited by olfogey

• Administrators

No! Don't let me scare you off! :)

This kit is actually quite easy. It fits very very well.

There's just one small area to correct as you can see in my WIP. And that's the space between the ailerons and wing.

This plane is cool and if you build it, I will help you where I can.

Really happy you're drawn in!  :lol:

Cheers,

Jeroen

SERIOUSLY thinking about taking a run at it..............little nervous because I never built a plane before, but what the heck :)

Jeroen.......I'm going to take you up on your offer and send any questions your way.

"First one" -- how do you guys achieve the opaque metallic look to your paints? I've noticed this on some armor builds as well on transmission & such,

but don't know how it's achieved??

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

• Administrators

SERIOUSLY thinking about taking a run at it..............little nervous because I never built a plane before, but what the heck :)

Jeroen.......I'm going to take you up on your offer and send any questions your way.

"First one" -- how do you guys achieve the opaque metallic look to your paints? I've noticed this on some armor builds as well on transmission & such,

but don't know how it's achieved??

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Hi Jim,

I guess the easiest way is by Dry-brushing. Take a large old sof brush, put a little Testors (Model Master) Chrome on it and smear and wipe till practically nothing comes off. Really almost nothing. Spray a surface in the colour you want, let it dry and gently brush with the soft brush. I use Testors Chrome.

I also like to spray a base of Alclad and the next day thinly spray the colour I want. But if you're starting out the first option works best. I love the Testors screw cap Chrome because it never really dries on your brush. instead it turns powdery which makes you use and re-use this brush without cleaning.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jeroen

model-master-military-enamel-chrome-silv