Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The Sanctum

General

Shortly after moving house back in '09, and acquiring the miracle of a room a-l-l to myself for the first time in my life, I was given this nifty desk.

Has a small-ish neon light, adequate for purposes with help from the wee, double-bulb halogen desk light.

ThealtarinNov2013_zps806dbb85.jpg

Very happy with the extra shelf space and drawers. The grey, metal document drawer survived many a move. I had a pair but one unti suffered disappearance in the dim mists of time. Paints, sandpaper, spare parts, tools live there. The SprayWorks compressor lives on top.

As I organised and altered racks and tools I found a cheap-and-easy addition. Toothbrush racks thrown out at the local supermarket were excellent for tools, lined with litho sheet and some with plastic straws cut to length. I was suitably amazed at how many files/knives/chisels/scissors I could fit so close to hand.

Behind are the bookshelves and a floor-to-ceiling corner unit holding various boxes, kits and auxilliary supplies. The standard compressor lives on the floor to left of the desk.

I must source a new (bigger) cutting mat, to celebrate this rare occasion.

Regards

Rossco

• Like 1

Hello and welcome Rossco.

Can you explain or show us a piccy of this -  "Toothbrush racks thrown out at the local supermarket were excellent for tools, lined with litho sheet and some with plastic straws cut to length. I was suitably amazed at how many files/knives/chisels/scissors I could fit so close to hand."

I'm intrigued..

Matt

Thanks, all.

Nice to know there's another place for the 'over-achievers'.

;)

Righty-ho, here's a closer look at how I personalise things.

The toothbrush racks are the display type, the card edges slide into the grooves.

The red one has larger holes, perfect for the wee woodwork chisels I found in someone's garbage.

RackMain_zps73bdfb5c.jpg

RackScissors_zpsb622e682.jpg

I cut plastic straws to length when I realised my files fit them nicely. They fit six to a slot perfectly. Soooo much better than fishing the original plastic sheath outta the drawer. In fact, much of the gear has migrated from drawers, so a lotta time saved by the convenience of tools at hand.

You can also see the card or litho 'lining' on the base of the racks.

The top racks are drilled and fixed with screws out of audio cassettes. The wooden strip and rack along the cabinet are atached with double-sided tape, same as the half-rack I cut down for the tweezers and pin vices.

RackAux_zps751f7954.jpg

RackHalf_zpsce59f27a.jpg

Another 'whaddya-know' moment you can see in the wooden strip. The stainless steel core from windscreen wiper blades has radically reduced my toothpick consumption. Cut to length and smoothed they make excellent chisels and mixers. Quick wipe with thinners and all clean, again.

The wooden handles hold 30mm sections of 'E' guitar wire, for CA applicators or cleaning out the tube on the Revell 'Contacta' cement.

And you want it 'messy', huh? :D

The 48th Scooters, a wee Testors 72nd F4U-1 I've been going AMS on, an Esci A-1H long overdue for finishing and you might see the cowl (on left) and wing mid-section (under the Spad wing)  from a Revell F4U-1.

Hope it explains things better.

Cheers

Rossco

DeskStation_zps6fa6059f.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...