The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Silver Wings Gloster Sea Gladiator 1:32ND

Reposting from my SP&R topic

Link to the review http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-things-aviation/132-135-scale/132-kit-reviews/678-132-gloster-sea-gladiator

Previously on Bens model bench........

This is my first full resin kit build kindly provided by SP&R, as resin kits go this is the best ive ever seen, the overall quality is better than the limited run boys usually manage, its gonna take alot more prep obviously but its totally accurate and i havent encountered any fit issues at all!

Im finishing this as a pre war 802 squadron machine on HMS Glorious, ill be using some custom masks made by AD Astra as the kit decals are probably one of the only areas you can be a bit critical about. Plus the attractive diamonds on the top of the wings are actually yellow not blue as usually depicted.

So far ive had to scratch build the cockpit framing as the kit one was too warped and broken to repair.

071uto.jpg

076xh.jpgp[

the engine is together save for a few scratch built parts ill add once its inside the cowling, as you can see its very comprehensive, although the Mercury isn't an overly plumbed engine so there isn't much more you could add. i used the collector ring as jig while i added the pistons as the exhaust manifolds need to mate up to this properly 

0083pu.jpg

010nya.jpg

012zxp.jpg

0043kz.jpg

005kcv.jpg

The instructions tell you that the wings should have 6mm of dihedral so i taped them flat to the bench and made spacers while they dried, same for the lowers although getting them level was trickier due to the fuselage.

061dr.jpg

047lb.jpg

I painted the cockpit framing Alclad white aluminium, and above the waist line cockpit green, the cockpit is superb and matches the Mushroom publications book im using as reference perfectly!!

cockpit2n.jpg

cockpit1i.jpg

069bf.jpg

Fuselage went together well despite my scratch built cockpit, although one side of the instrument panel needed to be trimmed alot for it to sit right, luckily it wont be visible due to the angle you'll view it from; this is a problem ive read about in other builds of this kit.

The main area you can critisize the kit for is the fairy reed prop, it has no aerofoil cross section too it and is warped, also the spinner looks more like a football !! i put the spinner in my Dremel and used a grinding bit to act as a lathe to make it the correct tapered shape, i sanded a rounded edge onto the prop. its still not perfect but a big improvement, will see how it looks under some paint.

039ywv.jpg

The wings are now on, starting to look like a Glad now !!

Ill update you all soon.

Ben.
  • Like 2

i use white ensign for my main colours and Alclad, and Games workshop acrylics for weathering/hand painting.

Its not to bad of a fit to be honest, just all the cleaning up thats a pain in the arse, the fuse took some filling but if it had been an injection moulded kit the cement would have sorted the gap out no problem.

im actually enjoying it so far, just dreading the rigging!!

Started working on attaching the upper wing, I'm going to leave it off until its fully painted but need to make sure it fits

There's a good how to on Silverwings website and they recommend drilling the holes for the struts at the angle they will be when finished. So I followed their advice and used scale plans to cut some foam filled plasticard to the same angle as the struts to rest my pinvise drill on. Seems to of worked but the struts don't stay in place tightly enough yet for a proper dry fit, I'm going to make a jig of some sort to hold the struts at the correct angle while they dry.

4239BA0A-9AE1-4B27-A057-FB31BF65A6D1-407

19485774-EADB-49CE-AB0A-9631F6EC46C4-407

Guest Ninetalis

I love Gladiators, I'm happy that'll still be able to see what this one will finish like.
You did some great work on this one so far!

With regards, Ninetalis.

• Like 1

More progress...

Made a jig for the struts

4F307B73-776C-4535-9215-1F691D1CE503-117

065_zps9ab40bc5.jpg

Nice gap on the dinghy pack!!

064_zps3948978b.jpg

Made a new arrestor hook from Albion alloys brass rod using the kits hook, some more etched to go aorund the hook too

062_zps4c820f1f.jpg

And test fitted the upper wing, it sits level and at the right angle but the struts dont sit flush where they meet the wing and theres a gap; i cant really fill it here as im leaving the upper wing off until its painted so need ideas here!!

0672_zpsf45adbba.jpg

070_zpsaa969ee5.jpg

Looks great so far!  

Regarding the upperwing strut fit, you could put some tape on the wing, fit in place and build up the strut attachment area, then remove the wing, and the tape should keep the putty from sticking to it (if that makes sense).  Otherwise, you could carve out an indentation the same shape as the strut end so it is a little recessed into the upper wing.  Sorry, that is about the best I can think of.

Looks great so far!

Regarding the upperwing strut fit, you could put some tape on the wing, fit in place and build up the strut attachment area, then remove the wing, and the tape should keep the putty from sticking to it (if that makes sense). Otherwise, you could carve out an indentation the same shape as the strut end so it is a little recessed into the upper wing. Sorry, that is about the best I can think of.

The tape idea sounds promising, the strut makes contact with the upper wing in places so I might give that a go.

Good work Benjamin

So your overall assessment of the fit/difficulty sounds like it is pretty good.  I suppose the strut fit can't be odds'd in as much as this is a hand crafted model, cast in a material that has a degree of variability in final size (i.e. resin shrinkage). Only the likes of Wingnut can achieve close to perfection by a combination of CAD and high quality injection moulding.

Look forward to seeing the paint on it.  Is it going to be an inter war silver doped jobby??  Just re-read page 1.  Looking forward to seeing it finished as a silver doped inter war jobby....

Matt

• Like 1

Good work Benjamin

So your overall assessment of the fit/difficulty sounds like it is pretty good.  I suppose the strut fit can't be odds'd in as much as this is a hand crafted model, cast in a material that has a degree of variability in final size (i.e. resin shrinkage). Only the likes of Wingnut can achieve close to perfection by a combination of CAD and high quality injection moulding.

Look forward to seeing the paint on it.  Is it going to be an inter war silver doped jobby??  Just re-read page 1.  Looking forward to seeing it finished as a silver doped inter war jobby....

Matt

It really is beautifully engineered, like i said earlier i had to cosmetically fill the fuselage seam but only as its resin, if it was injection the cement would have bonded the plastic. The instructions are quite vague, luckily the Mushroom walkaround book helps to show what everything is and where it goes so id recommend using that if you build one (THANKS JIM!!!) The interior needs alot of care to get it all in the right place or it what fit but other than that there really aren't any fit issues, i cant wait for the Bulldog they're doing now!

Small update...

I've used Aluminium foil (Duck tape) to replicate the joining strips on the upper wings, im not sure if they're fabric or metal on the real aircraft but they are visible under paint. Im going to use the tape on the undercarriage legs aswell.

001_zps13bd7f59.jpg

002_zps678eb877.jpg

• Like 2