The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

WW2 German armor colors ???

CrankyCrafstman

Hey all 

I know, I know this is a tough subject. I'm looking for some help from the knowledgeable ones on this forum. As you know, or not I'm going to be building a 1/16 scale Trumpeter Panzer IV Ausf. H with zimmerit. I have some questions that I need help with. I've tried the internet, but alas, no luck. Trumpeter doesn't give you any color information on the interior of the tank. 

Ist question 

When did they change from the welded tubular idler wheel to the cast one? They give you both in the kit but don't give you a time line on when they switched.

2nd question 

What color was the floor in the front of the tank under the driver & radio operator? I've seen bluish grey, red oxide primer and white (Elfenbein-ivory)  I'm leaning towards red oxide primer.

3rd question 

From what I understand Germany during WW2 didn't have alot of brass for shells, so they used parkerized steel for shells. My question is why does EVERYONE  paint there shells brass? Shouldn't they be a steelish grey with a slight greenish tint to represent parkerized steel?

4th question 

What color was the Maybach HL 120 TRM engine? I can't find any definitive answers for this. I think it should be a greenish black for the block, possibly oxidized aluminum for the cylinder heads, black for the valve covers.  Not sure what color the box with three pipes, on the right side of the engine should be.  Most paint it red oxide primer.

5th question 

What colors are the generator and motor on the left side of the engine under the radiators?

I have more questions but I'll hold them for later. Thanks in advance.

Ron G 

9 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

The link to the RFM instructions have some colour call-outs and some illustrations, I can send again?

Yeah bomber, I got that, I'm looking for more info, on colors, pictures, books anything that will help. RFM has good instructions, but they don't cover everything. Thanks for your input.

Ron G 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

I don't do facebook, or any social media.

Ron G 

Okay, then the website forum you want is Missing-Lynx.

I would have previously recommended M-L as the first stop but DP is building / has built 1/16 Pz IVs and also making 3D printed parts for them

best of luck

Nick

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Okay, then the website forum you want is Missing-Lynx.

I would have previously recommended M-L as the first stop but DP is building / has built 1/16 Pz IVs and also making 3D printed parts for them

best of luck

Nick

Thanks Nick 

I'll check it out.

Ron G 

• Like 1