The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Interesting method Mike, I hope the contrast will not be to stark.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

It will be oversprayed then have the CDL decal applied, so won't be as obvious as it is right now,

Mike

• Like 2

Hi all,
A couple of updates.
As the mechanic figure will be refueling the aircraft from a container, I needed to make a funnel.
This was made from 0.3 mm thick plastic card and a piece of stretch sprue for the pipe.
painted with 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213) with 'Tamiya' Clear Yellow (X24) inside to represent fuel.
Two spare label decals were applied from my 'spares' box.

funnel2.jpg

The propeller is a laminated wood propeller made by Alexey Belov at 'Proper Plane'.

prop3.jpg

Mike

• Like 6

Hi all,
Well, the decal pre-shading test didn't turn out too bad I guess.

Airbrush primed with 'AK Interactive' White primer (AK759).
Polished with a 'Flory Models' Green polishing stick. 
Airbrushed with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600.
Pre-shade decals applied using 'Xtradecal' Parallel stripes black set (XPS1).
Light coat of 'AK Interactive' White primer (AK759) airbrush to fade back the decals.
Airbrushed with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600 as a sealing coat.
'Ghost' roundels airbrushed on underside of upper wing using tracing paper masks (don't stick and lift decals).
Light coat of 'AK Interactive' White primer (AK759) airbrush to fade back the roundels.
Airbrushed with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600 as a sealing coat.
‘Aviattic’ Bleached CDL (clear backed) (ATT32044) decals applied (cut to shape).
Kit supplied decals applied (serial number made from ‘Xtradecal’ RAF letters and numbers set (X32021).
NOTE: All decals applied with added PVA adhesine in the decal water (helps to stick the decals down without, if any, silvering)
All of this still needs weathering, detail painting and final light sheen final coat (to lessen the gloss).

Mike

decsdone1.jpg

decsdone2.jpg

decsdone3.jpg

decsdone4.jpg

• Like 4

I was a bit skeptical about your decal strip pre shading method, Mike, but your result is absolutely convincing, like Hubert said. The benefit is a much clearer image of the framework through the 'cloth'.
The only area, which doesn't fit perfectly are the decals, which look naturally due to their opacity a bit to prominent :2c:.

Cheers Rob

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I was a bit skeptical about your decal strip pre shading method, Mike, but your result is absolutely convincing, like Hubert said. The benefit is a much clearer image of the framework through the 'cloth'.
The only area, which doesn't fit perfectly are the decals, which look naturally due to their opacity a bit to prominent :2c:.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

If you're referring to the kit decals, yes they do contrast heavily with the rest.

But I still have to apply weathering and the final sealing coat, which will help blend those decals,

Mike 

1 hour ago, sandbagger said:

Hi Rob,

If you're referring to the kit decals, yes they do contrast heavily with the rest.

But I still have to apply weathering and the final sealing coat, which will help blend those decals,

Hi Mike, I indeed meant the kit decals. With a bit of post shading and weathering they will blend in perfectly, Mike.

Cheers Rob

Hi all,
The surfaces were airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311), which give enough 'grip' for the clay wash.
'Flory Models' clay wash (Dark Dirt) was then brush heavily over the model.
Next up is to remove the wash with slightly dampened kitchen absorbent paper, to achieve the desired weathering effect,

Mike

washon.jpg

Hi all,
Just a quick update.
The landing gear struts were wrapped in linen to protect them and strengthen them against splitting.
I chose the apply the 'Aviattic' CDL decal to the struts, not that you can see much of it.
I also dirtied the gear using the 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt wash.
The axle was replaced with 1.2 mm diameter brass tube.
Now onto pre-rigging,

Mike

gear2.jpg
  • Like 4

Hi all,
Update on the Scout build.
I've pre-rigged the assembly and upper wing.
For this model I've not used tubing to secure the lines to the turnbuckles.
Instead I looped the lines through the turnbuckles the twisted the line and secured it together using thin CA adhesive.
I've used the 'Gaspatch' 1:48th scale metal turnbuckles (Type B) for most of the rigging.
These better represent the way the turnbuckles were attached to pivot on their mounting brackets.
Some double ended (Type C) turnbuckles are used for flight control cables.

Now it's onto fitting the upper wing,

Mike

frig1.jpg

frig6.jpg

frig7.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
The Bristol Scout 1260 model is more or less complete.
Added details include open access panels, refueling funnel with removed tank filler cap, external starter switch and all rigging.
Also an over wing Lewis machine gun with gun sight, butt latch on decking panel and trigger cable.
Finally a pilot and mechanic figure stood on a trestle.

I still have to make the display for this model.
Once done I'll of course post final photographs and upload my PDF build log to my web site.

Thanks for your support and comments during this build,

Mike

done.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...