The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Birdcage Corsair

I expect you guys must be tired of my Corsair builds but that's okay. I don't plan to stop at this time though. This will be my 6th Tamiya Birdcage build (my favorite Corsairs are the Birdcage and the -1D). :) The photos here are in "Swashbucklers and Black Sheep". The decaling/painting diagram is from the Techmod sheet. I'll be using some EagleCal national insignia but the a/c number, etc will be Techmod. One thing I've always liked about the Birdcage Corsairs is the Salmon Pink primer used back then. Very out of the ordinary. :) As I have mentioned before, you can click on the photos for much better resolution plus they can be easily viewed as slide show.

Scanned-1.jpg

Scanned Section 1-1.jpg

Scanned Section 2-1.jpg

5-7-23 001.jpg

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

never get tired of following your Corsair builds. In fact I have a few in the stash that should be hitting the bench after the Skyraider and 109 are done. Nice choice of schemes: Virgil Ray

Thank you Peter. I think it will look fine and will go well with my other Corsairs. :)

• Like 1

John, great to see a Birdcage, perhaps this will make me finish mine. I lost the picture of the fuselage panel behind the seat bulkhead. If you remember I completely screwed the orientation. If you could show me again, thanks. Also should these be sprayed fuselage colour or clear?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

John, great to see a Birdcage, perhaps this will make me finish mine. I lost the picture of the fuselage panel behind the seat bulkhead. If you remember I completely screwed the orientation. If you could show me again, thanks. Also should these be sprayed fuselage colour or clear?

Thanks Phil. You'll have to refresh my memory. Can you send a photo? :)

• Like 1

John

Nice work on the front office, IP, seat and harnesses.

I'm pretty spoiled these days and look to use Quinta sets when I can. Of course, not going with Tamiya's  front office is a hard choice for sure.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the front office, IP, seat and harnesses.

I'm pretty spoiled these days and look to use Quinta sets when I can. Of course, not going with Tamiya's  front office is a hard choice for sure.  

If you do go with the Tamiya cockpit be sure to get some Barracudacals for the Corsair cockpit. Otherwise I'd go with Quinta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Wish this was mine, this the area I screwed up…….

What parts did you screw up? It's possible I might have some you could use since I've built so many Corsairs.  Lots of unused stuff left over. I'd need the parts numbers. :)

• Like 3

John, looking great! While working on mine this afternoon, the thought crossed my mind, since you've built so many, do you catch yourself going by memory and missing a step? 😉

I'll update mine soon, I'm working through those Barracudacals Cockpit stencils.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, denders said:

John, looking great! While working on mine this afternoon, the thought crossed my mind, since you've built so many, do you catch yourself going by memory and missing a step? 😉

I'll update mine soon, I'm working through those Barracudacals Cockpit stencils.

Thanks Dave. Yes, I have to watch myself of I will screw up and forget a step or something. LOL Those Barracudacal cockpit decals are really nice and add a lot to the cockpit. However, they can be a bear to use since they are so small etc. :) I look forward to seeing your update pics.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JohnB said:

LOL Those Barracudacal cockpit decals are really nice and add a lot to the cockpit. However, they can be a bear to use since they are so small etc.

Yes, they are small. 🤪 (magnifier and headlight) I"ve noted comments elsewhere and on the instructions that particular pieces might be better cut apart, too. I've been doing one piece at a time and making sure it's attached before the next piece so I don't mess it up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, denders said:

Yes, they are small. 🤪 (magnifier and headlight) I"ve noted comments elsewhere and on the instructions that particular pieces might be better cut apart, too. I've been doing one piece at a time and making sure it's attached before the next piece so I don't mess it up.

I've done that too and it does help. :)

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 12:46 AM, JohnB said:

What parts did you screw up? It's possible I might have some you could use since I've built so many Corsairs.  Lots of unused stuff left over. I'd need the parts numbers. :)

Thanks John, I’ll dig out the box and see what a disaster I packed away…………as for instructions, I’m bad suppose it comes with building AFV’s as well. With the Mossie I’m am religiously following………..them……..

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks John, I’ll dig out the box and see what a disaster I packed away…………as for instructions, I’m bad suppose it comes with building AFV’s as well. With the Mossie I’m am religiously following………..them……..

Send me a photo of the "problem child" Phil. Maybe I can be of some help. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

Can I ask what do you do with them all John , is there a fleet of Corsairs in the house or do you sell them /gift them ?

LOL I keep them in glass commercial display cases so they don't get dusty, etc. :)

• Like 2