The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

SH P-39D up next

Time to build another SH P-39 kit. The first order of business is to measure and cut the rear fuselage and insert a 5/16" plastic "plug" to get the right fuselage length.

5-29-23 002.jpg

5-29-23 B 001.jpg

• Like 4

Yikes, that's quite a gap.  Can I ask how you made that plug?  Is it a solid piece?  If so, did you laminate a bunch of plastic sheets together or are you running thin plastic card around a wooden/clay former?  Just asking as I don't know that I've seen plastic card available in such a thickness.   Looks great so far!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Yikes, that's quite a gap.  Can I ask how you made that plug?  Is it a solid piece?  If so, did you laminate a bunch of plastic sheets together or are you running thin plastic card around a wooden/clay former?  Just asking as I don't know that I've seen plastic card available in such a thickness.   Looks great so far!

Thanks Mike. I laminated several sheets of plastic card to get the thickness I wanted then measured everything, cut out the plug and now, after some cleanup, it will be ready for insert when the time comes. Then I'll spread some putty over it, sand it smooth and then it's ready for paint, etc. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice work on the plug and I'm willing to bet, you have the measurements committed to memory by now. How many P-39's have you built? 

Thanks Peter.  Six including one terrible Kitty Hawk kit. :)

Here they are: (I don't think I've left any out!):)

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

#3.jpg

#4.jpg

#5.jpg

#6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Awesome builds and what a terrific collection. I would have guessed the KH kit would have been the least favorite build - but at least you did nearly the impossible and completed it.

Thanks Peter. It was a bear to build alright (it's the sand colored "Devastating Devil" model). :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Even I'm amazed at the rate you are building at. But the P-39 does look mighty good.

I just have plenty of time to build nearly every day Peter. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, denders said:

Looking great, John! ;)

I have a SH P-39Q in the stash to build one day. I'm assuming that the fuselage length is an issue with all the SH P-39s?

Dave

Thanks Dave. :)Yes, I'm afraid so. They all are short. 🤪 I'd recommend getting this reference.

Scanned Section 1-1.jpg

• Like 1