The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:24/1:32 stencils - Decal or mask?

Fran

• Administrators

Pictures of the Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc 1/24 built and photographed by the Belgian modeller Dirk Devijver. Not using 1 decal and using the 1ManArmy masking set.

I do like the decals stage of a build... but painted markings are the best result... and how about painted stencils? 

In 1:32, that stencils are bigger and the risk of silvering is a reality, I wonder, with 1ManArmy masks, if the 1:24 and 1:32 decals stencils will be in the way of extinction?

I can`t, for some reason, upload all the pictures of the beautiful Spitfire so I  leave here the facebook link: 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=698398562327098&set=pcb.698399342327020

24DET016 - SPITFIRE Front.jpg

DDV_Airfix-24-spitfire-IXc P5.jpg

Spitfire 1 24  Elctr-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24  Sal WT-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 12 Volt-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 Fuel 100 Oct-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 Location-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 Walkway Forward -min.jpg

Walkway Forward 24 Spitfire-IXc P2.jpg

24DET016 - SPITFIRE Front.jpg

Spitfire 1 24  Elctr-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24  Sal WT-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 12 Volt-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 Fuel 100 Oct-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 Location-min.jpg

Spitfire 1 24 Walkway Forward -min.jpg

Walkway Forward 24 Spitfire-IXc P2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The OneManArmy masks are fantastic products. well cut and super sharp. 

I used them on two builds now, a Tamiya Corsair and a Fly Arado 234. The Corsair was easier, because the stencils have only one color. With the Arado, it was laborous, because some stencils are multi colored and you have to cut the extensive walkways to size 

I really like, that national markings are included, as well as individual markings for some planes. 

The manual is well made and shows placing and orientation, as well as colors. 

There are worthy tips mentioned, like using transparent adhesive film as an adjusting aid, specially recommended on curved surfaces. 

The only negative aspect, beside the enormous masking effort needed (I‘m an overdpray coward) is, that the OMA webpage doesn‘t give you informations about what‘s included on the sheets. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

I haven't tried the 1 Man Army stencils yet but I have used the ones made by Eduard. They're PE so have their own challenges in using them. 

@DocRob, I always thought these were just the stencils so haven't picked up any as I felt they were pricey but if they have the national markings as well, them the price is more reasonable. Like you said, it would be nice to know what's in the sets. 

• Like 3