Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32 Westland Whirlwind

8 minutes ago, JeroenPeters said:

Does that mean that this panel line actually is not a panel line but a seperation?

in that case i should maybe fill this panel line? And add a strip to the bottom of the top wing?

IMG_5408.jpeg

That part should be removed from the flap completely.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JeroenPeters said:

Sorry if i keep asking, but does that mean that these two parts indicated in red need to go? So only outboard the nacelles and not at the radiators?

IMG_5402.jpeg

The highlighted parts are attached to the wing, but the whole strip is removed from the flap. It is difficult to find a good image of it but the attached is the closest I found. It’s an indication that the area where the rear nacelle is mounted is extended from the rear edge of the flap.

IMG_0180.png

• Like 4

• Administrators

Ok!

so i cut the length edge of the flap and will attach this to the top side of the wing. Resanded the new edge. And making a new smooth transition between the gondola’s and the flap.

IMG_5415.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg

IMG_5418.jpeg

IMG_5410.png

• Like 8

• Administrators

Cutting up the gondola’s. Doing this in parts that all need to be thinned out and put back together afterwards. 
I’m aiming to making a solid base to attach the engine to.

IMG_5431.jpeg

IMG_5432.jpeg

IMG_5428.jpeg

IMG_5433.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators

So. I put together one gondola and cut off the engine plating. I sanded the firewall flush, since all the detail will be 3d printed and this gives me a solid base. I printed one engine to play with during construction. Need to re-measure the engine since as is, it won’t fit. The rear should slightly protrude the firewall. 

IMG_5438.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

IMG_5440.jpeg

IMG_5442.jpeg

• Like 9

Great job with the flap. I was wondering if I should try it, but seeing your progress is inspiring and I’m going for it. I don’t think I will open the engine panels, unless “someone” will start making a nice resin upgrade kit… 😉

I plan on opening the underside of the wing inside the nacelle to show the oil tank. It’s easier than doing the whole engine. 

IMG_7782.jpeg

IMG_7432.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, GunnarO said:

What kind of tool are you using to split the parts? 

Hi Gunnar,

basically a thick scriber from Trumpeter for the first few strokes and then with a verynfine tungsten steen scriber. Sometimes also a micro saw.

IMG_5449.jpeg

IMG_5450.jpeg

IMG_5451.jpeg

IMG_5457.jpeg

• Like 7

Note that you have rear frames in the nacelle that's not included in the kit. The first image of the wreckage shows the frame facing forward, the second shows the outside (nacelle side) and the third one is facing rear towards the flaps. The last one shows the undercarriage retraction cylinder attached. These parts might show if you're lowering the flaps a fully 40 degrees. (actually, 46 degrees since it has a negative 6 degree angle fully up)

nacelle rear wall.png

IMG_7518.jpeg

IMG_7519.jpeg

IMG_7521.jpeg

IMG_7403.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You might have seen this. Gives a nice view of the rear section of the nacelle/wing and why the rear edge is part of the wing and not the flap. Remember also that the inner slats on the front of the wing must be extended as they moved in connection with the rear flap. The outer slats were locked shut at one point, depending on when you plan to show the airplane from. Can't remember the exact date, but can find out.

image.thumb.jpeg.0863b5c6deb0c703d515e2759cd5b58f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, GunnarO said:

You might have seen this. Gives a nice view of the rear section of the nacelle/wing and why the rear edge is part of the wing and not the flap. Remember also that the inner slats on the front of the wing must be extended as they moved in connection with the rear flap. The outer slats were locked shut at one point, depending on when you plan to show the airplane from. Can't remember the exact date, but can find out.

image.thumb.jpeg.0863b5c6deb0c703d515e2759cd5b58f.jpeg

Thats very helpful! I was wondering about the rear nacelle… and i see more interesting details here and in the other photos. In the meantime i’m slowly getting the rough parts done and am measuring the parts i need to 3D print.

IMG_5497.jpeg

IMG_5495.jpeg

IMG_5485.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

• Like 7

I would check if the support strut is supposed to be slightly further out from the centre. It might be that the wall thickness of the model kit is moving the parts inward and makes them interfere with the engine model which is accurate to the original. The nacelle is very tight packed. 

IMG_7795.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, GunnarO said:

I would check if the support strut is supposed to be slightly further out from the centre. It might be that the wall thickness of the model kit is moving the parts inward and makes them interfere with the engine model which is accurate to the original. The nacelle is very tight packed. 

IMG_7795.jpeg

I have this drawing, but your remark about wall thickness makes sense!

That might do the trick. Thnx!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hi Gunnar,

I’m jumping all over the place and now i’m looking at the slats. In this photo you see the extended slats. It says they are interconnected with the flaps.

First question: looking at reference photo’s i see a lot of planes on the ground with slightly dropped flaps but not extended slats. Shouldnt they both be out/down?

second: the model shows no panel line on the upper wing where the slat should be. Also dont see it in drawings. How so?

thnx in advance!

IMG_5559.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

• Like 3