Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/32 Westland Whirlwind

On 2/11/2024 at 6:23 AM, JeroenPeters said:

Just went to the range to focus on something else.

I hear ya on that Jeroen my Son is with us for 5 days an activity planned for tomorrow before he ships out to Japan w/35th FW .Your ability to bring forth such details with such expertise goes not unnoticed.;)

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Thnx Kev!

more work on the wings. Scribed the panellines deeper and will need to accentuate all rivets. Just added the landing lights, oil coolers and dry fitting the wing to see how it all closes.

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5750.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators

Dryfit of the fuselage. The fuselage needs a lot of attention. Bit of a rough surface that needs polishing. Scribing and rivets need extra rescribing too. The fit is fine.

Also closing the sides of the oil coolers. Figuring out the order of things.

IMG_5754.jpeg

IMG_5755.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators
2 hours ago, GunnarO said:

Made a collage of the inner slat as well

inner slat.jpg

Wow… i believe i read that the slats in front of the oil coolers were interconnected with the flaps? That means i should open them too?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeroenPeters said:

Wow… i believe i read that the slats in front of the oil coolers were interconnected with the flaps? That means i should open them too?

I’m afraid so… 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sticking to "out of the box"! 

The level of engineering in the radiator and aerodynamic flaps is impressive, especially when one realises the esign work dates from pre-war. Like the Avro Manchester, potentially amazing designs frustrated by the engine. What might the Whirlwind have become with a pair of RR Merlins?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

I'm sticking to "out of the box"! 

The level of engineering in the radiator and aerodynamic flaps is impressive, especially when one realises the esign work dates from pre-war. Like the Avro Manchester, potentially amazing designs frustrated by the engine. What might the Whirlwind have become with a pair of RR Merlins?

Actually, it’s a misconception that it suffered due to the engines. The Peregrine was a great engine of its time, the last in the line of the Kestrel. It was a “Merlinized” Kestrel. The Whirlwind didn’t live up to its expectations for two reasons. It used a DeHavilland propeller with a rather thick profile that suffered from incompressibility issues that caused the loss of performance at altitude. The other reason was that all the performance tests were done in the second prototype that had Rotol propeller with better performance. The expectations were set higher than the production machines could deliver. (Or they used the wrong propeller on the production machines without knowing)

More details here if anyone wants to know: https://www.whirlwindfp.org/blog/when-the-wind-won-t-whirl-or-the-real-reason-the-whirlwind-suffered-at-height

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

In the end the Peregrine and its big brother the Vulture were terminated by RR because they needed to focus on developing the Merlin. 

Ultimately, they both were the end of the Kestrel line. 

• Like 5

On 2/15/2024 at 5:34 PM, GunnarO said:

The amount, and quality of information available now is just fantastic.

When I was researching for an R/C build quite a few years ago, a lot of this was unobtainable.

When I was at Westlands there was some activity from the enthusiasts at a nearby Test & Evaluation Establishment looking to dig a corner of the airfield (the old fire training pan if memory serves), where it was thought the remains of G-AGOI had been bulldozed under when the new Social Club was built.

I think Wessex Archaeology/Time Team were approached at one point, but the Westlands Archivist, the Late Fred Ballam, found some aerial photos of the site from around the time construction started, and it confirmed that the site had been cleared, so that saved a lot of trowel work!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Nosejob succesful. If taking the nose clean off was the goal :)

Wondering whether to open this hatch. It will require scratching some fuse frames and a radio i believe…

3D printing the ailerons and inner slats at the moment. Patience is not my forté.

IMG_5805.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

IMG_5806.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

I had to redesign the radiator slats. The angle was off as you can see here. Printing a new set now. And i need to add a push rod in the middle.

The ailerons look to be ok so far. 

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5854.jpeg

• Like 8