The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/350 USS Buchanan to the SOD

JohnB

I rarely build ships but this one has been on the shelf for a while (along with several others). I decided it was time to build it even though I hate dealing with all those tiny fiddly bits. 🤪 I intend to model it in Measure 21 which is overall Navy Blue instead of the splotchy scheme.

This has gotten to be to damn aggravating so it is going to the SOD. The PE railings have a high cuss factor to get them properly attached. Three hands would come in handy. Trying to hold the model without knocking something off of it is a mission impossible. I can do without the aggravation so now it will spend time on the SOD while I find something else to build that is enjoyable. :wallbash:

1-19-24 B 001.jpg

1-22-24 001.jpg

1-22-24 002.jpg

Buchanan 3.jpg

Buchanan.jpg

• Like 3

John

WOW! What an awesome project and your progress is amazing. I could never deal with all of those super small parts and then the tiny PE parts. You're off to a fantastic start and looking so good.

Will be following all the way :construction: 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

WOW! What an awesome project and your progress is amazing. I could never deal with all of those super small parts and then the tiny PE parts. You're off to a fantastic start and looking so good.

Will be following all the way :construction: 

Thank you Peter. I'll be cross-eyed by the time I get this one done!

• JohnB changed the title to 1/350 USS Buchanan to the SOD

I was wondering John why you were trying to join the PE railing so soon?It's like a plane work from inside out and the PE railing out along the hull is your LG's on a plane.;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KevinM said:

I was wondering John why you were trying to join the PE railing so soon?It's like a plane work from inside out and the PE railing out along the hull is your LG's on a plane.;)

Live and learn Kevin. Haven't built a ship in many years so it's like trying it all over again. It seemed like the right approach but it just didn't work out this time. Something to file away in my memory for whenever I decide to build another (or resume work on this one). 🤪

• Like 3

That's the way I usually work - from inside to outside.  Railings are one of the later things to go on, but I agree, they are really a pain.  

Problem with ship models is that I'm always knocking things off or bending them too.  Too many exposed details that seem to always be in the way of my clunky fingers.

It's looking really good though.  Maybe build another Corsair and turn back to it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

That's the way I usually work - from inside to outside.  Railings are one of the later things to go on, but I agree, they are really a pain.  

Problem with ship models is that I'm always knocking things off or bending them too.  Too many exposed details that seem to always be in the way of my clunky fingers.

It's looking really good though.  Maybe build another Corsair and turn back to it.

Thank you Mike. You described my feelings exactly. Always knocking something off, etc. Very aggravating! I likely will go back to it later on as I think I have too much work into it to just quit completely. We will see. :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 11:27 AM, JohnB said:

too much work into it to just quit completely.

Yeah I look at ships more like many sub-assemblies coming together and at times it does become monotonousness build something quick lighten the fair.;)

• Like 1