Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell Razor Crest - Finished

58 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Sweet! It looks like the rear section from A-10 :)

Perhaps that's where they got the idea. It's said that the cockpit for the Millenium Falcon came from a B-29. :)

• Like 6

She's got legs. I'll have about 10 days or so to contemplate whether I'm going to use the decals for the yellow stripes or the more tortuous route of masking and painting them. The small decals that I did use in the cockpit were hard to get to settle down into the raised detail in the cockpit. But the stripes are worn and that has to be a lot of work to duplicate in a mask. I'll think about it. I may have to rewatch an episode or two to see about other weathering effects that I may want to duplicate. The front of the right engine has a panel missing, so I may want to add some scorch marks in that area.

XWb000.jpg

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

maybe hairspray method , chipped with a toothpick? 

That might work. I've never tried the hairspray method. I do have a bottle of someone's chipping fluid but I've not tried it either. Hmmm.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Peter. Now to get back at it after spending a week in Florida getting my wife her "spring training baseball fix". :lol:

I'm thinking it shouldn't be a big deal, just patience. The yellow parts will be the 'holes' in the mask, I just have to work at making the cutting marks for the cutter.

• Like 5

A picture of the masks, it's a screen capture from the Silhouette Studio software. This is the largest set of masks that I've done. It's raining here, so I'll have to wait a couple of days. I want to paint if it goes on well and not have it sitting around for a bit.

4wIbV6.jpg

It should be interesting. 

• Like 7

Actually, when I weeded out the unnecessary pieces, I realized there was a mistake. So, these are the mask pieces, let's see how loony I can drive myself getting them in place. :blink:

QrkZML.jpg

• Like 6

Okay, first part of the masks on.

kdCCpi.jpg

Paint on. I'm using a Creos 771 (0.18mm) with pressure set to 10 psi and the needle adjustment set at 2. Setting 0 won't allow the needle to move.

blZqRy.jpg

And masking off. Looks pretty good to me.

uXGJgH.jpg

Just 4 more mask pieces to go.

• Like 8

Okay, last pieces of masking placed and painted. Next I have to look at the canopy parts. Then a clear coat and something for all the panel lines. 

OT53df.jpg

qWp47Q.jpg

qPzUVg.jpg

cELcOh.jpg

AojmTA.jpg

• Like 8