The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

IJN Type A Midget Submarine, Pearl Harbor.

This is the Fine Molds Kit in 1/72 that I picked up last year. There isn't a huge amount to this model, but it was a little more than a weekend project.  Fit is good enough, but you will have to sand through the nicely molded welding seams. I replaced these with a fine brush and Mr Surfacer 500. There are a couple of options in the kit with regard to submarines used in different operations so pay attention to which version you wish to build. I chose to represent one of the boats used to attack Pearl Harbor on December 7th. 

The ships were overall matt black, with the torpedo being painted in oily steel. The instructions say black, however the torpedo that washed up on the attack on Sydney Harbour appeared to be unpainted. Weathering was kept pretty restrained. I had no problems with the decals and I finished things off with some EZ line and a small base whipped up with some pine and stain.

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/22/2024 at 7:59 AM, Martinnfb said:

Fantastic result. I really like the fresh look and how it stands out on the wooden display platform . Well done!

cheers

Martin

I thought the same Martin with Naval subjects a Nice display makes all the difference.;)

• Like 1