The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Badger Compressor just sprung a leak

Sigh,  My trusty Badger compressor's air tank just let loose with a pin-hole leak.  My bad for not draining it as religiously as I should have...  Just as I had lined up a lot of painting for today!

• Sad 2

Question.  Are you airbrushing inside with the compressor in the house?  Is so, it shouldn’t be a problem.  I don’t have a moisture issue.   But apparently your Badger says you do.   
But yea, very simple. Hold on, let me go find what you need and post it. 

As far as the airbrush hose, mine has a 1/4” NPT female end that a quick disconnect goes into. 

8’ whip hose   Also comes in other lengths at HF  

Mini filter with 1/4” NPT inlet and outlet.

Quick disconnects

put quick disconnect on hose whip end, other end into filter.  

Go to hardware store and get a 1/4” NPT nipple and connect quick disconnect to outlet on filter or screw air hose directly onto nipple to reduce chance of air leak.  Use Teflon tape on all threads.  

Hose with 1/4” NPT on one end.

But like I mentioned, I don’t have a moisture issue in my house.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Sigh,  My trusty Badger compressor's air tank just let loose with a pin-hole leak.  My bad for not draining it as religiously as I should have...  Just as I had lined up a lot of painting for today!

My Silentaire compressor has a leak somewhere so I feel your pain. I replaced it with a Badger but that didn't have the power so I've got a California Air Tools similar to the one Scott posted. It works but is nowhere as quiet as the Silentaire was. It's also nowhere as expensive as a new Silentaire would be. 

You can get an inline moisture trap. I have mine attached to the hose just before the quick disconnect to the airbrush itself. Several companies make them. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

8’ whip hose   Also comes in other lengths at HF  

Mini filter with 1/4” NPT inlet and outlet.

Quick disconnects

put quick disconnect on hose whip end, other end into filter.  

Go to hardware store and get a 1/4” NPT nipple and connect quick disconnect to outlet on filter or screw air hose directly onto nipple to reduce chance of air leak.  Use Teflon tape on all threads.  

Hose with 1/4” NPT on one end.

But like I mentioned, I don’t have a moisture issue in my house.  

Perfect, thanks Scott!  Very helpful, and HF just sent me a 15% off coupon.  Seems like Karma, huh?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

My Silentaire compressor has a leak somewhere so I feel your pain. I replaced it with a Badger but that didn't have the power so I've got a California Air Tools similar to the one Scott posted. It works but is nowhere as quiet as the Silentaire was. It's also nowhere as expensive as a new Silentaire would be. 

You can get an inline moisture trap. I have mine attached to the hose just before the quick disconnect to the airbrush itself. Several companies make them. 

Thanks Carl.  I need something quiet as I'm in a condo building.  I am surprised as how expensive these things can be!  A part of the hobby I guess...

• Like 1

I really liked my old Aero-Pro compressor, it never failed me, lasting 34 years of permanent use and minimal maintenance, the last years usually with humidity between 80 and 95%, but last year it leaked.

I ordered the fastest available one, with good reviews and all the features I'm looking for. In my case it was the Sparmax TC-620X. Living remote like me, there is not a great deal of availability and after nearly a year, I have to say, I like the Sparmax a lot, running relatively silent and not permanently due to the air tank. I doubt, it will last for 34 years like the old one, but seems to be build solid.

Sparmax TC-620X Twin Piston Airbrush Compressor (2.5 Litre) - Everything  Airbrush

• Like 5

Chris

When my old compressor bought the farm with a hole in the tank, I bought the same Sparmax set up as Rob's and it's been awesome. Highly recommended. Agreed it won't last 43 years but I'm guessing at 76, neither will I. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Carl,  I ended up going with the Master Airbrush Cool Runner Professional with a 3L tank.  The Sparmax was good for small jobs, but does not have a tank.  It is VERY quiet however.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1