The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Revell 1/48 CF-104G Starfighjter

Let’s go build a Century Jet!!!

The Canadair CF-104 Starfighter (CF-111, CL-90) is a modified version of the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter supersonic fighter aircraft built in Canada by Canadair under licence. It was primarily used as a ground attack aircraft, despite being designed as an interceptor. It served with the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and later the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) until it was replaced by the McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet.

The CF-104 entered Canadian service in March 1962. Originally designed as a supersonic interceptor aircraft, it was used primarily for low-level strike and reconnaissance by the RCAF. Eight CF-104 squadrons were originally stationed in Europe as part of Canada's NATO commitment. This was reduced to six in 1967, with a further reduction to three squadrons in 1970. Up to 1971, this included a nuclear strike role that would see Canadian aircraft armed with US-supplied nuclear weapons in the event of a conflict with Warsaw Pact forces. During its service life the CF-104 carried the B28, B43 and B57 nuclear weapons.
When the CAF later discontinued the strike/reconnaissance role for conventional attack, the M61A1 was refitted, along with U.S. Snakeye "iron" bombs, British BL755 cluster bombs and Canadian-designed CRV-7 rocket pods. Although Canadian pilots practised air combat tactics, AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles were never carried operationally by Canadian Starfighters (however, examples provided to other air forces, such as Norway and Denmark, did carry Sidewinders on a twin-rail centreline station and the wingtip rails). The CF-104D two-seater did not normally carry any armament except for a centreline practice-bomb dispenser.
There were 110 class A accidents in the 25 years that Canada operated the CF-104 resulting in 37 pilot fatalities. Most of these were in the early part of the program centring on teething problems. Of the 110 class A accidents, 21 were attributed to foreign object damage (14 of which were bird strikes), 14 were due to in-flight engine failures, six were as a result of faulty maintenance and nine involved mid-air collisions. Thirty-two aircraft struck the ground flying at low level in poor weather conditions. Of the 37 fatalities, four were clearly attributable to systems failures; all of the others were attributable to some form of pilot inattention.[11]
The accident rate of the CF-104 compares favourably to its predecessor, the F-86 Sabre. In only 12 years of operation the F-86 had 282 class A accidents with a loss of 112 pilots. The Sabre was also a simpler aircraft and was normally flown at higher altitude.[12]
The CF-104 was nicknamed the "Widowmaker" by the press but not by the pilots and crews of the aircraft. David Bashow states on page 92 of his book "I never heard a pilot call it the Widowmaker". Sam Firth is quoted on page 93 in Bashow's book "I have never heard a single person who flew, maintained, controlled, or guarded that aircraft of any force (and that includes the Luftwaffe) call it the Widowmaker". The pilots did refer to it, in jest, as the "Aluminium Death Tube", "The Lawn Dart" and "The Flying Phallus" but generally called it the 104 (one oh four) or the Starfighter.
Low level attack runs in the CF-104 were done visually at 100 feet AGL and at speeds up to 600 km. Low level evasive maneuvers could increase speeds to supersonic.
The aircraft was very difficult to attack owing to its small size, speed, and low altitude capability. Dave Jurkowski, former CF-104 and CF-18 pilot is quoted "Because of our speed, size and lower level operations, no Canadian Zipper driver was ever 'shot down' by either air or ground threats in the three Red Flag Exercises in which we participated."
The CF-104 was very successful in operational exercises held by NATO. The Canadians first took part in the AFCENT Tactical Weapons meet in 1964 and did so every year after that. This meet was a competition between squadrons from Belgium, France, Germany, the United States, Britain, and the Netherlands. Scores were based on several factors. Bomb accuracy, time on target, navigation, mission planning and aircraft serviceability. Pilots were chosen at random from the various squadrons to accurately represent operational capabilities.

IMG_8540.jpeg

IMG_8541.jpeg

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8495.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

Sounds interesting, Ralph. I well remember them back in the day at CFB Cold Lake.  What decals are you planning on using , out of curiosity? 

Thanks Jeff. The kit comes with a decal sheet plus I have an additional CAF decal sheet.

• Like 4

On 4/7/2024 at 10:05 AM, Peterpools said:

Ralph

Going to be a terrific build project to follow and very much appreciated the history and bio - adds so much to the overall build.

:construction:

Thanks Peter. I enjoy researching the history of each kit I build. The Basement Air Force on FB is having a three month long Century Jet group build if you’d like to join in?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ralph, same as Phil .. any update?

Good Morning Peter. Sadly no update on the kit however I just purchased a 2016 Fleetwood Flair 29T Motorhome that I’ve been playing with, lol!!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_7599.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg

IMG_7601.jpeg

IMG_7598.jpeg

IMG_7596.jpeg

IMG_7595.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpeg

IMG_7545.jpeg

• Like 6

Ralph, WOW, she is a beauty and I'm sure you and the family are going to have an incredible summer for sure.

Thank you for the invitation to join the FB GB but I'm from the Baby Boomer and not a FB user. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RalphSarc said:

Good Morning Peter. Sadly no update on the kit however I just purchased a 2016 Fleetwood Flair 29T Motorhome that I’ve been playing with, lol!!

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_7599.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg

IMG_7601.jpeg

IMG_7598.jpeg

IMG_7596.jpeg

IMG_7595.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpeg

IMG_7545.jpeg

That Motorhome has more room than most of my rental apartments 😮😁. congratulations. great purchase.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ralph, WOW, she is a beauty and I'm sure you and the family are going to have an incredible summer for sure.

Thank you for the invitation to join the FB GB but I'm from the Baby Boomer and not a FB user. 

I’m a boomer too, lol!!! I started the BAF 10 years ago.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FullArmor said:

That Motorhome has more room than most of my rental apartments 😮😁. congratulations. great purchase.

Thanks we’re very pleased to have a Class A. It is like a one bedroom apartment on wheels!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On your mark, get set………..go!!
Very rudimentary offering of a CF-104G. Really soft plastic and a whole two spruce, lol!!!
Oh well I’ll throw a bit of detail in the cockpit you’ll never see and carry on.
Should be a quick build!!

IMG_8965.jpeg

• Like 4

Completed steps 2, 3, 10 and 13! Now it looks like a 104!!! Time to return to step 4 and start the gear build up. Plus filling the dreaded fuselage seams!! Lord I hate that!!!

IMG_8967.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice work on the Starfighter Ralph. Definitely a kit from an earlier time. Are you planing any special markings or just a line jet?

Lovely looking RV there too. 

Carl

I’m planning on this Canadian paint scheme.

Thanks concerning the RV. We’re enjoying our retirement and summers cruising in the RV. This summer we’re visiting the Great Lakes. Definitely cooler than Atlanta’s summer temperatures!

IMG_8968.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Ralph

Mighty nice and supersonic progress. Surely is going to be a fun and relaxing build.

:construction:

Yeah it’s an oldie but goodie kit that’s for sure. Really soft plastic and there’s a sticker inside one of the fuselage halves that says made in Poland!! Also very little detail but should paint up nicely and look nice hanging on the wall.

• Like 4

Ralph

Nice choice of scheme and I also have fond memories of the old Revell and old Monogram kits.

Always thought and Oldies GB would be a great change of pace and a nice trip down memory lane.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ralph

Nice choice of scheme and I also have fond memories of the old Revell and old Monogram kits.

Always thought and Oldies GB would be a great change of pace and a nice trip down memory lane.

I agree. I have an old Monogram 1/48 F-84F kit that I’m itching to build!!

IMG_8991.jpeg

IMG_8992.jpeg

• Like 2