Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Floquil Diosol needed

Would anyone have some Floquil diosol? I have a bunch of old Floquil paint but nothing to thin it with. I need some diosol or something else that will work. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Some are saying Lacquer Thinner but found this"I also read a thread some where that said a friend had Diosol analyzed and it was made up of 55% Xylene and 45% Toluene. I can buy Xylene, but have not been able to find Toluene. So I guess lacquer thinner might be the thing to get."

old MRR forum:modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-a-good-substitute-for-dio-sol.18816/

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Some are saying Lacquer Thinner but found this"I also read a thread some where that said a friend had Diosol analyzed and it was made up of 55% Xylene and 45% Toluene. I can buy Xylene, but have not been able to find Toluene. So I guess lacquer thinner might be the thing to get."

old MRR forum:modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-a-good-substitute-for-dio-sol.18816/

So carcinogenic, mutagenic and highly flammable just for starters. Sounds like something to be avoided to me.

We used to use liquid scintillators at work which were based on either Xylene, Toluene or Benzene. We eventually decided none were worth the risk and ditched the tests that required them. Thankfully, the clinicians were happy to switch to a Carbon-13 alternative which just needed a mass spectrometer.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Thank you Kevin! I have some Tamiya lacquer thinner so I'll give it a try. 😀

• Like 2

John

Glad you found a safe thinner to use. Geez, those bottles of Floquil must be old like us. When I was into a model railroading, Floquil was the paint to use. Never knew how dangerous it's dedicated thinner was. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Glad you found a safe thinner to use. Geez, those bottles of Floquil must be old like us. When I was into a model railroading, Floquil was the paint to use. Never knew how dangerous it's dedicated thinner was. 

Yes, they are pretty old but, surprisingly, still good. They all have a good "seal" on the lid that must be the reason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Amazing that they are sealed so well and just need thinner to go to work again. They were awesome paints for sure.

Some of them are thin enough to use without thinning. You have to be careful spraying any of them as they will "burn" the plastic if over sprayed. A couple of light coats is the solution to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Pretty much how I remember using them and the smell and odor was really bad as well.

Back in those days, my go to paints were always Model Master and Poly Scale.  

Model Master was always my "go to" paint. Wish Testor's hadn't stopped production. At least we still have the small bottles of their enamels. I keep a stock of their OD.

• Like 2