Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Special Hobby F-80C saved from SOD

I've decided to start this build next. Tentatively I will do it in this scheme. I'm well along on the AMS after market cockpit and will soon post a couple of photos. 🙂

2024-07-06 - John.jpg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Nice project John. I’m sure you know the intake area is a high-cuss zone …

Hubert

Yes indeed Hubert. I've built a couple of these plus a T-33 and they all had the high cuss factor intakes. At least I know what I'm in for! LOL 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Holy Smokes, a Shooting Star - one of my all-time favorites. 

is it the Special Hobby kit? Will be following all the way. :popcorn:

Yes, Special Hobby/Czech Massah. 🙃

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Wow, so much simpler controls, knobs and switches compared to the F-4!  But your IP looks terrific.

Like night and day! Thanks. 😀

• Like 2

Wow John. This should be good. 

Like Hubert said, those intakes can be tricky but if you've built a couple already you know what you're everything into. 

I actually enjoyed the pair of T-33s I did. 

Carl

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Wow John. This should be good. 

Like Hubert said, those intakes can be tricky but if you've built a couple already you know what you're everything into. 

I actually enjoyed the pair of T-33s I did. 

Carl

I hope this one turns out okay. Those intakes are a pita for sure! LOL 😃

• Like 1

I was going to test fit the little louvered pieces on the intakes and found that the parts are missing. I have no idea as to what became of them. The only "remedy" I can think of is to scratch build them. I plan to give it a try so we will see. I just hope there aren't any more parts missing. As far as I can tell everything else is there but ..........

2024-07-07 - John.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Always something for sure. I 100% positive you will be able to duplicate the two parts. 

:construction:

We'll see as it shouldn't be all that difficult.

Got the nose wheel well and the cockpit tub in place. I had to saw off part of the top of the wheel well piece to allow the tub to fit.

DSC02487_NEW.jpg

DSC02488_NEW.jpg

• Like 2

I decided to take a different approach to the intakes. I inserted 2 blanking pieces at the rear of each. I'll paint them flat black before installing the intakes on the fuselage. This way you can toss the intake ducting which is a source of problems. On my two previous builds I used the ducting but cut some of it off so it would fit a little better. The blanking pieces will be visible after assembly but not so much as to just jump out at you. LOL Just a nice bit of a short cut! 🙃

DSC02489_NEW.jpg

DSC02490_NEW.jpg

• Like 3

I hate to say it but I totally forgot to put weights in the nose before joining the fuselage halves.🙃 The only remedy I could think of is cut a nose panel out and fill the nose with BB's and white glue. I've set it aside for over night so "hopefully" the BB's will stay put. I hope I can re-attach the cut out piece without too much trouble. Fingers crossed I'll be able to "blend" it in enough so as to not be too noticeable, etc.  :unsure:

DSC02491_NEW.jpg

• Like 4

That's a different solution to the intake problem. When I did mine, I split the trunking in two and didn't bother about trying to make it connect at the fan face. That's deep enough inside that you can't see it anyways. 

As for the nose weight, hopefully it doesn't cause too much fuss sealing it back up. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's a different solution to the intake problem. When I did mine, I split the trunking in two and didn't bother about trying to make it connect at the fan face. That's deep enough inside that you can't see it anyways. 

As for the nose weight, hopefully it doesn't cause too much fuss sealing it back up. 

Splitting the trunking is what I did on previous builds but I decided to do it this way this time around. Six of one and half dozen of the other I guess. 😃

• Like 2

While trying to mask the windscreen it snapped into two pieces. Right down the middle. I'm tempted to SOD this one too as there is no way to fix it to where the break wouldn't be visible. If it isn't one thing it's something else lately.

DSC02492_NEW.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

John,  Sometimes you get a build that just fights you every step of the way.  Fully understand the desire to bin it.

I'll just set it aside and maybe at some point later on get back to it. I'll still need a replacement windscreen. I don't know if SH would be able to send me a replacement or not but I'll email them and ask.

• Like 3

Looks like this one is putting up quite the fight. 

I emailed Special Hobby once about spare parts and they were happy to sell it to as they had them in stock. So hopefully they have them for you. You could get the missing intake parts too. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks like this one is putting up quite the fight. 

I emailed Special Hobby once about spare parts and they were happy to sell it to as they had them in stock. So hopefully they have them for you. You could get the missing intake parts too. 

Thanks Carl. Yep, this one is putting up a fight. I'll email SH and see if they have what I need.

• Like 1

John

Egad, first a senior moment forgetting to put the nose weight in and then the broken windshield. Never a dull moment.

Just seems to go with the kits well-earned reputation.