Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Spitfire upper Wing Walk Lines.

Both the Tamiya instructions and the EagleCal Instructions, show the black wing walk lines going over the roundels. I've looked at dozens of build photos and actual aircraft photos and just can't tell which way is correct; wing walk line under or over the roundel. The inflight images I have show the Walk Lines over the roundels. 

Got me Peter I am trying to picture WWL on a small Brit fighter?Mossie yes,I know German for sure ,I know British Seaplanes ,No Italian come to memory.....:hsmack:

• Like 1

Peter, I went to the Imperial War Museum's website and found this video.  I figure if anyone knows what is what, it would be the IWM?  In the video it looks like the roundels are over the wing walk lines...  And this picture from this video.

image.thumb.png.a7ea9f20d35832b8b182cc6053ba4892.png

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, just watch the video but I'm just not convinced. It could be fighters leaving the factory were painted one way and re-painting the field, it went the other way. The video and the photo are very early Spitfires and even the wing roundels are different. The Spitfire I'm working on, cammo was field applied and in the photographs I've seen (just two) one has the walk lines over the roundel and the other under it. I also checked a lot of builds and it's all over the place.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put the roundels on top and call it a day.

• Like 1

Spitfire walkway lines never go over the national markings, here's a thread from Britmodeller with words of wisdom from the late Spitfire expert Edgar.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234920715-spitfire-wing-walk-markings/

Official instructions were that nothing should encroach onto the roundels. Remember that the line ran along the line of the mainspar, so you're probably seeing that panel line showing through, not the paint.
Edgar

Potato Pete, on Jun 20 2012, 07:37 PM, said:

- do you know if the layout for the wing walk markings changed over time? I've just been comparing the Airfix Spit Mk 1 pattern with the Tamiya Mk IX and they're quite different. Or is that just poor research on their part? I can imagine them varying after repaints in the field.

On early aircraft, the emphasis was on keeping the erks' boots (rubber-soled, by the way) off the area of the radiator, since a dished top surface, in that area, meant a replacement wing. This meant that the port wing lines ran like a backward "Z" up alongside the cockpit, then left along the mainspar, then right out to the leading edge at the wingtip joint. The starboard wing's line went straight from wingroot out to wingtip.
When the set-up went to two radiators, the wings' top surfaces were strengthened, so that erks could walk either side of the cockpit, but still had to keep off the radiators' area. You then had two sets of lines which were identical, but mirror images of each other, i.e. the original backward Z to port and Z to starboard.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Thanks Dennis, so very much appreciated.

That sems to clear it up. Just wonder why Tamiya, EagleCal got it wrong and even Wolf Buddee on his incredible Spitfire build then has it incorrect. I'm going to follow Edgar's research. 

Truth be said, I'm having enough issues with applying the roundels over all the wing lumps and bumps.

• Like 1