The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Grex Genesis XD airbrush

jbyrne629

Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted but I am currently in the market for a Dual Action gravity feed airbrush. I currently own a badger 200NH single action that frankly stinks at detail work. I came across the Grex Genesis XD for $109 and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience or suggestions. I know airbrushes are very personal things I am really just looking for a general idea if this model would be suitable for the fine detail work I am looking to use it for.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I used a Badger 150, until it finally wore out 2 years ago. Instead of rebuilding it, I did a little shopping and ended up purchasing the Grex XT for $250. I absolutely love it! Not only is it great for all work, to include fine line detail, but the cleaning is remarkably simple. Unless you plan to store it, you run thinner through it until it comes out clear. That's it. I've only tore mine down to clean it once since I've owned it, and I use it at least weekly. 

I've found, by practicing with trigger pull, I can do exactly what I used to do with my Badger, but without changing needles or adjusting air flow.

Everyone has there own opinion, but to pick up one for just over $100 is hard to turn down.

I was mistaken. I have the Grex Tritium TG, not the XT. The TG is top fed, as opposed to side. The plus, for me, is when you remove the paint cup, the feed port is exposed, which allows you to put a few drops of paint in it for a quick color burst. I use that feature when painting propeller blade tips. 2-3 drops of yellow is all I need and I don't dirty a cup. It also has magnetic tips, so you can do a quick change from wide to fine.

The XT was one I had considered, until shown the Tritium. http://www.dickblick.com/products/grex-tritium-airbrush-sets/

I was mistaken. I have the Grex Tritium TG, not the XT. The TG is top fed, as opposed to side. The plus, for me, is when you remove the paint cup, the feed port is exposed, which allows you to put a few drops of paint in it for a quick color burst. I use that feature when painting propeller blade tips. 2-3 drops of yellow is all I need and I don't dirty a cup. It also has magnetic tips, so you can do a quick change from wide to fine.

The XT was one I had considered, until shown the Tritium. http://www.dickblick.com/products/grex-tritium-airbrush-sets/

Ahh, now you have me wanting to up my budget. The .2mm TG model looks perfect. I don't know how the wife would react to spending $200+ on an airbrush...

• Like 1

• Members

I've got the Tritium GS and it's superb, I can't say enough good things about it.  Quality is outstanding, it does everything well and Grex's customer service is excellent.

The standard needle is .3 mm which covers most peoples needs.  I use the .2 mm because of the amount of mottling I do on LW birds but if you do use this needle you'll have to use a paint that you can thin down a lot, I use Mr. Color which goes down great thin but other paints sometimes give me trouble.

Ahh, now you have me wanting to up my budget. The .2mm TG model looks perfect. I don't know how the wife would react to spending $200+ on an airbrush...

I know the feeling. I made it my birthday present, and promised her the same amount in clothing. That worked for me. :D

I've got the Tritium GS and it's superb, I can't say enough good things about it.  Quality is outstanding, it does everything well and Grex's customer service is excellent.

The standard needle is .3 mm which covers most peoples needs.  I use the .2 mm because of the amount of mottling I do on LW birds but if you do use this needle you'll have to use a paint that you can thin down a lot, I use Mr. Color which goes down great thin but other paints sometimes give me trouble.

I usually stick to the tamiya acrylics and model master enamels, I have never really had any issues with them.

I think you'll be pleased with it. I found the trigger set up to be less taxing on my hands than the top button, but I've been using sidearms my whole life, between my military service, my work, and recreation, so I'm used to that type of hand posture.