The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Special Hobby G.50bis Freccia

I guess it's official. After fiddling with my Albatros to the point of almost snapping one of the struts, I decided to shelve it until the fall. Apparently my heart meds tend to swell my fingers some during the summer. Not much, but just enough that I can't get quite the right feeling in them. With the struts on the WnW aircraft being to scale, they're quite fragile, so I thought better safe than sorry.

Therefore, (bugles, trumpets, fanfare, etc....), I have started this:

20140501_071947-1_zpsdnale5yp.jpg

I actually started working on it this past weekend, doing a few hours of work each day before I went to real work.

First, everything got a nice bath....

20140730_091450_zpsujj3oznv.jpg

Then I sat and just stared at the engine detail. It never ceases to amaze me the level of detail you can get out of resin!

20140731_075538_zps0j7rufp8.jpg

I'm further along than this, but in my haste to build, I forgot to load my pics to photobucket. Hopefully, I'll remember in the morning.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

i really fancy this kit

my only qualm is the wheel wells utterly devoid of detail - they look like a 1/72 kit

i don't have any references either way, but have to think there should be *something* in there

i want to build one of these as a favourite pilot of mine, Neville Duke, 'crossed swords' with quite a few of these over the African desert

looking forward to seeing more progress pics

what scheme are you doing?

thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Thanks, and I agree, there should be a higher level of wheel well detail. Normally I'd scratchbuild some, but I promised myself the only improvements I'd make to what came in the box, was CMK wheels and adding pushrods to the engine.

As for scheme, since this is my first "Italian Job", so to speak, I thought maybe I should stay away from those insanely hypnotizing schemes and stick with something somewhat simple. More than likely the mount of Major Giachino of 151 Gruppo.

Well Nick and Lawman,

You may be in luck as the photo I have shows a sub 1/72 scale level of detail in the real aircraft....

14675516500_2780070a34.jpg

Nicely boxed in and plain...

Just found this... really nice film and some useful insights...

Matt

• Like 1

I'll be watching this one with interest, I like Italian WW2 subjects and could not understand why PCM missed the G50 when they were in their Italian phase, so I was over the moon when the SH kit came out, it will be nice to see one built (and educational).

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello all. Thought I'd bring everyone up to speed as to the progress on the "Italian Job", as it were. I promised mysefl I wouldn't go overboard with this build, and so far I think I'm doing quite well. So far I've only had to scratchbuild two items, the pushrods for the engine and a spacer to separate upper and lower instrument panels.

20140803_092751-1_zpskzkxz2pu.jpgHere you see the styrene rod I used to create the pushrods. Pretty simple, really. If nothing else, I suggest at least making enough to cover the front cylinder banks, as this will be seen through the cowling.

20140812_161526-1_zpsa86cwp89.jpgMy engine after painting and a light black wash. I painted the cylinders MM Steel and the pushrods aluminum.

20140812_163003-1_zpsamprr3vy.jpgHere's the scratchbuilt spacer I created for the IP. If you look at pics of the cockpit, you'll notice a curved spar that connects right and left fuselage sides, separating upper from lower instrument panels. Not really sure why this wasn't built into the kit, but I managed to at least represent it.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Just managed to buy one of these (Finnish boxing), so watching with even more interest.. can't recall any other builds..?

Matt

Matt, at one time, Doogs was building the Finnish one, but I think he got frustrated with the cockpit, (plus other projects needing his attention), and shelved it. I know he had started one, because when I had first made mention of getting one, he warned me about the instrument panel. Honestly I had no idea what, exactly, he meant until I saw it myself.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Finally had a chance to do a little more on my G.50. This morning was spent affixing tiny resin bumps to the cowling. I assume there is a purpose behind these on the actual aircraft, maybe rocker arm clearance, but on the model, they just serve to justify the purchase of a magnifier.

20140831_090852-1_zpsqpv3110s.jpg

Notice they are tiny. Actually, they're the size of a sesame seed. Imagine having to glue them onto a hamburger bun! No wonder the fast food industry wants to raise minimum wage.....

Until we meet again......

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a chance to put a little weathing into the seat and floor. So far, that and the cokpit walls are almost done, and the IP just requies a little touch up. Then I can glue the fuselage together. Yay!

20140912_082201-1_zps8pls5r4z.jpg

• Like 1