The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa 1/32 P-47 & P-51

I'm being a little budget minded here due to the fact that Tamiya's 1/32 P-47 & 51 kits are well over $115 (the cheapest I've found), so I'm looking into other areas. Can anyone give me some insight into Hasegawa's 1/32 kits for both the P-47 and P-51? I know Tamiya has the best kits out there, but I can't ignore the price tag on the Hasegawa.

Hasegawa's P47 can be picked up anywhere between $60 and $80.  Scale Hobbyist Hasegawa P-47 (new tooling) is a nice kit and just over $70 with shipping.  Fit is good, engraved lines good and the pit is detailed enough without aftermarket.  However the cowling construction is a pain and alignment is off.  This kit also has the dorsal rake as option.

Am currently doing a double build with HAG Jugs see my posts: Jug Double Build 

Well, Tamiya doesn't make a 32nd Jug (yet), but the Trumpy isn't cheap either ($90ish). IMO neither is as good as Tamiya's 48th Jug and each have their share of frustrations to overcome.

As for P-51s, Hasegawa's is ancient, with raised panels and soft details, especially areas like the exhausts and gun tubes. I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it, max.

You might want to look at Trumpeter's P-51B. It can be found for around $60 and looks really good. I've been holding off myself for a Tamiya -B, but that's seeming less and less likely by the day.

I "tried" to build Hase's P-51 last year and gave up it. Just too many little things went wrong and it was a pain in the butt. I have built their 47 in 1/48 and I thought it went ok.

• 3 months later...

The Hasegawa P-47D bubbletop is a fine kit.  Builds very nicely and certainly looks the part!  I finished mine about 6-8 months ago and have 3 more in the stash.....along with the Trumpeter razorback and N.  

Here are a few shots:

P-47DHairlessJoe1.jpg

P-47DHairlessJoe4.jpg

I've also built the Dragon P-51D (early) and yes......there are PLENTY of "warts", but I'm happy with how it turned out.  Pics:

P-51DDaddyRabbit6.jpg

P-51DDaddyRabbit5.jpg

I'm currently hacking away at the old Hasegawa P-51D and yes....compared to even the Dragon kit (with all of its problems), it shows its age.  I've done some additional work to it and have used the old Paragon resin pit.  Should be heading towards airbrushing within the next week or so and I'll be sure to post pics when it's done.

Hope that helped!
John