The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Old(er) Hasegawa Spit - issues?

Artful69

Hi all ...

Does anyone have any insight into the two Hasegawa Spitfire kits 08132 (a Mk.Vb) and 08160 (a Mk.Vb Trop)?

... Apart from decals/paint/marking options (As I intend to use different ones) - are there any known 'issues' or areas of concern?

The kits have come up for sale cheapish, through a Japanese supplier, and I'm wondering if they are worth the $$

Rog smile.png

The basic airframe shape is pretty good but you'll have to do a bit of work to get it up to modern standards though. The kit has raised panel lines, a basic cockpit and shallow wheelbays and under wing radiators. You might want to replace the prop and spinner and get new wheels to.

It's a bit of a 'diamond in the ruff' but with a little elbow grease it will shine up ......

I'm still working on mine but you can see what I've done so far in my thread below,

Cheers,

Peter

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3257-raaf-spitfire-mkvc/

Buy with confidence Rog,

There are aftermarket sets around ( not necessarily for this kit mind you) and IIRC it is also the basis for

the various conversion sets that enable you to build the Griffon Spits. Oob they are still nice models.

Cees

They are nice kits, I've used them as base kits for conversions to Mk.VIII (Paragon), Mk XII (Paragon) and Mk. XIV (Warbirds), as long as you don't mind some re scribing and extra detailing they come out well.

Cheers

Dennis

The basic airframe shape is pretty good but you'll have to do a bit of work to get it up to modern standards though. The kit has raised panel lines, a basic cockpit and shallow wheelbays and under wing radiators. You might want to replace the prop and spinner and get new wheels to.

It's a bit of a 'diamond in the ruff' but with a little elbow grease it will shine up ......

I'm still working on mine but you can see what I've done so far in my thread below,

Cheers,

Peter

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3257-raaf-spitfire-mkvc/

Nice build Peter ... I have no problem with raised panel lines if the detail is fine enough (and it looks to be from your photos). A lot of modern kits tend to suffer from over-detailing in the panel and rivet department. My main concerns are the accuracy, fit/finish of the kit and availability of AM.

Buy with confidence Rog,

There are aftermarket sets around ( not necessarily for this kit mind you) and IIRC it is also the basis for

the various conversion sets that enable you to build the Griffon Spits. Oob they are still nice models.

Cees

That takes care of the AM question then! ... Accuracy doesn't seem too bad - although Thierry's 'tweek list' seems to call for a bit of modification to get it up to scratch. Speaking of scratch, I hate scratch building - adding pre-moulded AM: no problem ... but scratch stuff I am incapable of.

They are nice kits, I've used them as base kits for conversions to Mk.VIII (Paragon), Mk XII (Paragon) and Mk. XIV (Warbirds), as long as you don't mind some re scribing and extra detailing they come out well.

Cheers

Dennis

Extra detailing via AM ... no problem ... no scratch building though ... and no re-scribing! (although as mentioned above - raised panel lines don't bother me too much, sometimes they can look better to my eye than recessed ones on a finished bird.

------------------------------

The essential bit for me is - I don't want to open the box and find another kit like the Hasegawa Bf.109E ... I fought that kit solidly for about 2 weeks and then gave up and binned it. For all the criticism it got, I preferred the Trumpeter!!

Rog :)

The funny thing is that Revell has also produced a Mk I Spit using the Hasegawa Mk V as a basis with a completely new wing that has

recessed panel lines. The fuselage was unmodified though.

Cees

• Like 1

The funny thing is that Revell has also produced a Mk I Spit using the Hasegawa Mk V as a basis with a completely new wing that has

recessed panel lines. The fuselage was unmodified though.

Cees

Yes Cees!! I already have that one on the shelf ... I acquired it about 6 months before the new tool Revell Mk.IIa.

For some weird reason when I posted this thread, I thought that there were newer and older tooling of the spitfires by Hasegawa (just like the Fw.190-D9) ... But it seems that there's just the one (with variations) ...

I may, yet, take the punt!

Rog :)

• Like 1