The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hawker Typhoon Cardoor 1/24 Airfix

Look what landed at my doorstep!

The long awaited Cardoor version of the Typhoon.

This one will be my new work in progress for the coming months.

IMG_4383_zpsm9kgx3co.jpg

Couldn't resist to place its bubble top brother in front of the box.

Lets see what is different in the box.......

IMG_4390_zpsr8uq98bf.jpg

No more distortions in the clear parts or cracks, looks very good.

IMG_4391_zpskoa6jsnw.jpg

The car doors are also on the clear parts sprue

IMG_4392_zpsltnmmzfn.jpg

The extra Z sprue containing all the parts that are different from the bubble top version

IMG_4395_zpspdskjlnd.jpg

The hispano guns can be mounted either with or without the protective shrouds.

IMG_4408_zpsqmea0upe.jpg

IMG_4409_zpsuderzocx.jpg

The cockpit is on the inside a little different, and more is visible now, so that is certainly an improvement if you want to show 

parts of the cockpit.

IMG_4410_zpse7ofamh3.jpg

IMG_4411_zpsjlv7sf6g.jpg

There are various versions of the canopy possible, i still have to decide what version.

IMG_4413_zpseiuyebih.jpg

So it is time to commence with this build and add a Typhoon to my "squadron". iI will try to do regular updates on this build, lots of the construction is very much the same. I have ordered some  aftermarket stuff from Eduard for the interior, because now more will be  visible through the car door, and also the Master Hispano's, will look great without the protective shrouds.

Well, i will get some styrene on the table now and start the build!

That's it for now,

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Some progress made on the Typhoon, basically everything is the same as the bubble top version, except for the pilot seat,

IMG_4420_zpscestjmr9.jpg

IMG_4455_zpsog80n1ga.jpg

I have closed up the hole that keeps the oil tank in place in the firewall, now the fire wall is nice and smooth looking, also closed the cross hole to align the engine against the firewall, now i have a little bit of clearance to play with when mounting the chin radiator. Also placed a few parts on the firewall sooner than the manual says. Normally you should place those parts with the engine in place, but by then it is very hard to place them.

IMG_4459_zpsxl7lw76z.jpg

Also i gave the firewall a wash with some oils

IMG_4461_zpsybbx8smz.jpg

Weathered the pilot's seat,

IMG_4454_zpsp7t6hjzp.jpg

For this build i used the Yahu instrument panel, looks very good in my opinion, i just made the cables at the back of the panel with some lead wire, and beefed the panel up with some black plasticard, otherwise it would loo a little thin.

IMG_4453_zpshwuitnib.jpg

IMG_4452_zpsaf8xrqjh.jpg

I also bought an interior upgrade set from Eduard especially for the car door version,

IMG_4446_zps1m3exylt.jpg

The set includes the window regulator handle that is not provided for in the kit and some door frames in photo etch,

I am going to build the version with the white nose, but because this is an early version of the Typhoon, it didn't have the fishplates on the tail section for reinforcement, so i have to remove them from the frame,

IMG_4430_zpsopqhxkey.jpg

Fish plates on

IMG_4431_zpsal1ezphr.jpg

Fish plates removed

IMG_4432_zpsqdxtfonn.jpg

Described an riveted, not entirely satisfied with the result, so i wil go over that again, and after a bit of primer and sanding it will look allright (although sanding in that area is a real challenge with all that detail and panel lines) 

I am now working on the rest of the cockpit, the throttle box, steering column etc. I have also bought the upgrade set from Eduard for the landing flaps, since i am going to build it with the wheels and flaps down.

Well that's it for now,

Let me know what you guys think, every comment is welcome and appreciated,

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks everyone for the comments, i haven't done a lot i must admit, managed to get the engine in and i am detailing it a bit further, I will leave the portside uncovered and the starboard side covered. Also i will show one gun bay opened and will detail that further, (bought the excellent eduard hispano canon set to do this, the detail is stunning)

also i am in the process of making my own spark plug leads, so i can show this on the port side as if the spark plugs are being replaced. (they really didn't have al long service life, i believe they had to be replaced after every thirty hours of flight), imagine replacing 48 spark plugs regularly, those ground crews really had a hell of a job keeping those aircraft in the air. Making spark plug leads is pretty labour intensive, first i punched out 48 hexagonal nuts, because the leads end up in a sort of jacket with a nut on top

and that is being plugged on to the spark plug. I managed to buy spark plugs from rb motion  and i have placed them in to the sabre engine. Also i have further detailed the cockpit withe the side control panels using the eduard pe set.Normally i wouldn't do this, but with the car door version much more of the cockpit is visible with the door opened, it would be a shame if this would go to waste.

I have alos opted for some white metal landing gear oleos, as the ones in the kit are not strong enough for my taste and can snap of easily.

enough said, here are some pictures,

IMG_4508_zpsjl5g7doy.jpg

IMG_4507_zpszmd9gmzz.jpg

IMG_4509_zpszlyxc6ar.jpg

IMG_4510_zps7kngjotm.jpg

IMG_4511_zpsygkyexss.jpg

Also working on the electrical wiring using braided hoses with lead strips to clamp them in to place, still a work in progress.

IMG_4512_zpsqbaq9wvo.jpg

IMG_4513_zpsnkxcseif.jpg

IMG_4515_zpsm5ksgnsq.jpg

IMG_4516_zps6walmto6.jpg

IMG_4517_zps2njgwl9k.jpg

IMG_4518_zps6ulcddue.jpg

IMG_4519_zpsfnlr6yjv.jpg

IMG_4521_zpsmhnh9qls.jpg

When you compare the eduard parts versus the kit parts, than you can see the difference

IMG_4520_zpsdat1t2y8.jpg

Well that's it for now, hope you like it,

Frank

• Like 3

• Administrators

Mine is now started too, so watching this one. 

It still worries me when you see how you have to force open the fuselage frames to add the seat bulkhead. It sort of looks wrong, but of course it isn't.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...