The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Brothers in plastic, Revell II and IX

Hi there chaps,

I have been plodding away on two of Revell's Spitfires. The Mk II which I started just after I finished the P-40 and a week later the Mk IX came out so grabbed that one too. A double build looked a good idea so the builds were on. As expected the IX is based on the Mk II and the wings and fuselages can be swapped which make for good cross kitting. The IX is a commission build and will be finished in 322 Squadron colours and the aircraft flown by Dutchman A. Homburg who unfortunately crashed in this aircraft on april 1st, 1945. The Mk II will be either a Mk I or Mk II depending on what livery I fancy. Anyway, let the pics do the talking.

Cees

20170408_110021_zpsodoijytq.jpg

20170408_123315_zpsvmgrpuz7.jpg

20170408_123713_zpslg33g4z8.jpg

20170408_123847_zpsagtzdddv.jpg

20170408_124050_zpse9jgtuhf.jpg

20170410_200551_zps9xglzq4y.jpg

20170413_201034_zpsfhxmwtok.jpg

20170416_134719_zpsv8hcjz7v.jpg

20170416_134724_zpsfb6mlxca.jpg

20170416_134951_zps9kq6qupw.jpg

20170422_171253_zpsqmink4a6.jpg

20170423_202355_zpstwyzsybi.jpg

20170424_194546_zps06xpa5rh.jpg

• Like 2

I used a left over seatbelt from a PCM Spit XIV for the IX and the HGW seatbelt for the Mk II. Personally I do not like the HGW belts, very

fiddely. But I have seen very nice results from them.

• Like 1

Nice to see how these turn out Cees. Some people on various forums have been fairly critical but they look like decent kits to me for €30. Just wish they'd do a later mark with the bubble canopy and cut down rear fuselage.

Stil making progress on the Spitbits. The IX has a headstart as it is a commission build, and it builds up nicely. The canopy is very thin and the bubble hood has no seam, incredible moulding with sometimes crude parts almost next to it. The only thing that keeps bugging me is the flat dihedral of the wings. Not even clamping or sanding seems to have improved it, although on the IX it is less noticable. Still it us a pleasure to put together, the painting process is getting near, with the II or I, haven't decided yet, in close formation.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Ooh that sounds interesting. The MRP stuff gets a great rep but I've never jumped because of the smell... marital harmony and all that. Water based would be interesting if they performed as well.

Looking good Cees. I've seen elsewhere suggestions that part of the dihedral problem is caused by the wing roots being too thick. Does that seem feasible from your experience with these?

That could be part of the problem, the join is also very solid and if you have to increase the dihedral you have to chamfer the sides of the upper wing panels a bit. I might do that the next Mk IX I build and that's a fact as this kit has great potential for cross kitting. Strangely I had put the kit next to my built Tamiya IX and the dihedral was almost the same. There can be a difference when an aircraft is on the grond where the weight may give the wings a flatter dihedral while in flight the wings go up. So far no one has given a definitive answer on that.

• Like 1

Great, will you be posting your progress here?

I didn't as the client wanted an out of the box build. The upper bulges are a postwar modification which most airworthy Spits currently have because of the tyres used.

Just sprayed the undersurfaces, I hate overspray, can you tell:)

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Halfway through the decalling process. The major markings are on but the serial, these will be cobbled together from the sparesbox. After that  It's time for the stencils.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Chaps,

Not really, the only thing to wacth out for are the aft joins between the wings and the fillets as the ends on my example looked like short shots creating a gap, my Mk II has them too. So I had to insert a small bit of styrene to restore the smooth curve of the wings. The kit fits beautifully. I haven't adjusted the prop pitch but will do that on my next Spitfire as the pitch looks a bit too flat. But that is minor work.

The fit of the tailplanes is very good so left them off making it easier to get the camouflage masking on.

• Like 3

I herewith declare thee finished.

What a pleasurable build this has been. The model sits a bit high on it's legs as the oleo is depicted as unloaded while I have included the two 250 pound bombs duh! Next model will have to have the oleos shortened.

These are some preliminary pics, will take some less bad tomorrow.

Also included something for comparison.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3